- The Road to Dartmouth
- Scholarly Pursuits
- Writings and Speeches
- Room and Board
- The United Fraternity
- Phi Beta Kappa
- The Dartmouth Gazette
- Political Activity
- A Note on Sources
Below are listed all of the printed sources used in this project. Most are secondary sources, with the
exceptions of The Writings and Speeches of Daniel Webster, The Papers of
Daniel Webster, and Daniel Webster: "The Completest Man,"
which are collections of Webster's papers, and serve as transcribed versions
of primary sources. All manuscripts, except where noted, come from Baker Library Special Collections.
Where transcriptions of speeches existed, in either of the above mentioned volumes, it was my preference
to scan them in using optical character recognition (OCR) software, rather than typing them in by hand.
However, I rarely utilized a transcription for which Dartmouth did not own the original in its archives.
Many of these original documents had to be transcribed by hand, as printed versions do not exist. It is
my hope that any error in transcription would be brought to my attention by any viewing these pages.
- Barber, James and Frederick Voss. The Godlike Black Dan. Washington: Smithsonian
Institute Press, 1982.
- Bartlett, Irving H. Daniel Webster. New York: W. W. Norton & Company Inc, 1978.
- Baxter, Maurice G. Daniel Webster and the Supreme Court. Amherst:
University of Massachusettes Press, 1966.
- Childs, Francis Lane. Webster Cottage and Those Who Lived There. Hanover: Hanover Historical
- Curtis, George Ticknor. Life of Daniel Webster. New York: D. Appleton and Company, 1870.
- Feuss, Claude Moore. Daniel Webster. Boston: Little, Brown, and Company, 1930.
- Fisher, Sydney George. The True Daniel Webster. Philadelphia & London: J. B.
Lippincott Company, 1911.
- Graham, Robert B. The Dartmouth Story. Hanover: Dartmouth Bookstore, Inc, 1990.
- Harvey, Peter. Reminiscences and Anecdotes of Daniel Webster. Boston: Little, Brown,
and Company, 1877.
- Hopkins, Ernest Martin, Editor. The Proceedings of the Webster Centennial. Hanover:
The Dartmouth Press, 1901.
- Lanman, Charles. The Private Life of Daniel Webster. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1852.
- Lewis, Walker. Speak for Yourself, Daniel: A Life of Webster in His Own Words. Boston:
Houghton Mifflin Company, 1968.
- Shewmaker, Kenneth E. Editor. Daniel Webster: "The Completest Man." Hanover and London:
University Press of New England, 1990.
- Wiltse, Carles M. and Harold D. Moser, Editors. The Papers of Daniel Webster.
Hanover: University Press of New England, 1974.
- The Writings and Speeches of Daniel Webster. Boston: Little, Brown & Company; New York:
J. F. Taylor & Company, 1903. (Referred to as W&S).
Return to Daniel Webster Index