Table 29-1. PROGRESSION OF DECREASING CONSCIOUSNESS
- Alert and oriented.
- Confused and drowsy but awakens to verbal stimuli.
- Drowsy and awakens to noxious stimuli only.
- Unconscious but responds appropriately to noxious stimulation by reaching in attempt to remove the stimulus.
- Unconscious and responds inappropriately to noxious stimulation by random arm and leg movements.
- Unconscious but responds to noxious stimulation with leg extension and arm flexion posturing (decorticate) or arm extension and internal rotation posturing (decerebrate).
- No response to even noxious stimulation.