TABLE 11-10. OTHER ABNORMALITIES OF SKULL X-RAYS
- Fractures: A fracture across the course of the meningeal arteries should lead one to suspect an epidural hematoma. Not all fractures can be seen on x-ray, basilar fractures may be particularly difficult to see.
- Lytic or blastic lesions, indicative of metastatic tumors.
- Clouding of the sinuses, often indicative of infection.
- Structural changes, which may result in CNS damage, such as platybasia, basilar impression, or (in children) synostoses.
- Some systemic diseases: Paget's disease, osteopetrosis, sickle cell anemia, thalassemia, etc.