About the Dartmouth Outing Club
The Dartmouth Outing Club is a student-run umbrella organization made up of a Student Directorate and about a dozen member clubs. Day-to-day management is handled by the Board of Directors which receives advice from the Advisory Council. The DOC gets administrative support from the Outdoor Programs Office.
- Student Directorate
- The Student Directorate consists of the President, the Vice-President, the heads of the member clubs, and such positions as the President decides to create. The Directorate is responsible for club-wide policies and activities. Its office is located in room 13 of Robinson Hall.
- Member Clubs
- For historical reasons and for reasons of size, the DOC is divided into about a dozen member clubs each of which have a specific outdoor interest. The roster of member clubs changes occasionally to meet the needs of the student body — students stop participating in one club and it is derecognized due to lack of interest, or a new group of students get together and ask to create a new club.
- Board of Directors
- The Board of Directors consists of the Student Directorate, and the DOC General Manager and DOC Trainer. The Board usually meets every other week to plan club-wide activities, discuss policy, etc. The Student Directorate often meets on off-weeks as a working group.
- Advisory Council
- The Advisory Council consists of seven student leaders (the DOC President, Vice-President, and the heads of the five most active member clubs), and seven College administrators and community members with experience in outdoor activities appointed by the Dean of the College. The Council usually meets twice per term to provide a larger and longer perspective on Club activities.
- The Outdoor Programs Office (OPO) provides administrative support to the Dartmouth Outing Club. The OPO Business Office handles vehicle reservations and monetary disbursements for the clubs and DOC cabin reservations for the public. The Outdoor Programs Office is part of the Student Life Office in the Dean of the College area.
- Two members of the OPO staff have special positions in the DOC: Rory Gawler acts as the DOC General Manager, responsible for budget approvals and program advice, and Brian Kunz acts as DOC Trainer, overseeing leader training and safety.
- Each club also has one of the OPO staff members as their partner, the first person to go to when they have questions about DOC, OPO, or College policies or procedures. Rory Gawler acts as club partner for the Student Directorate and DOC President, Cabin and Trail (C&T, including the DOC’s 75 miles of Appalachian Trail), Environmental Studies Division (ESD) including the Big Green Bus and the Sustainable Move-Out , and the Winter Sports Club. Brian Kunz acts as club partner for the DOC Trips program, Women in the Wilderness (WiW), the Mountaineering Club (DMC), and the Ledyard Canoe Club. Don Cutter acts as the partner to Bait and Bullet and the Dartmouth Ski Patrol.