Cricket Club Home  |  Contact Us  |  Login  

Dartmouth home page

  Practice Info  |  Game Info  |  Directions  |  Home Page

Where is the Rain when you need it?

All week the predictions for the weather said a 30% chance of isolated showers in Hanover. Come Saturday morning however, the probability changed to 70%. CCCC, always game for playing regardless of conditions still braved the weather to come to Hanover for whatever bit of a match could be had. Intermittent showers threatened to wash the game out during the course of the day, but both DCCC and CCCC chose to stick it out.

A late start to the day saw Chris, the captain, losing the toss and Dartmouth being sent to field, not all bad considering that chasing a target in recent times proved to be Ďmoreí successful than trying to post a huge total at the outset. Dartmouth, fielding 10 men and borrowing a CCCC fielder, was witness to Tuggy and Aman opening the batting. Rahul opened the bowling but found some difficulty in controlling the ball which returned wet after every shot because of the soaked outfield. Vibhor on the other end could do no better, bowling a string of wides to get CCCC off to a rapid start. Rahul was then unfortunately denied a clear caught behind down the legside off an attempted pull by Tuggy. Chris himself decided that perhaps he should bowl, and immediately struck gold in his second and third overs to have Aman out caught by Ravi at mid on and Tuggy bowled by a disguised beauty that swung in to nail the off stump. Rohit and Naveed came in to start the rebuilding process but Dartmouth would have none of it, Naveed being given lbw to Rahul without troubling the score, leaving CCCC at 64/3 in the 10th over.

Had the Dartmouth team been tracking Maniís scores this season, they would begin to understand that the in form all-rounder had consistently scored in recent games and obviously had ideas of executing the same at Scully. Somewhat watchful at the beginning of his innings, Mani opened up to hit 4s and 6s, though he was lucky to have been dropped twice by Vijayasri at square leg, once by Chris at square leg, once in a mix up by Govind running into Ravi, and once by Nicola at a very fine leg position. Mani successfully got to his first century this season. At the other end, Rohit was the least shy, supporting Mani with a well played 50. None of the other batsmen affected the score very much and CCCC tallied 236/7, one that should be chasable on Scully field. Again, some fairly shabby fielding and semi-wayward bowling from the Dartmouth team proved to have a significant impact for the oppositionís score.

Clouds overhead began pouring rain but Dartmouthís openers in Rahul and Amitavo showed not a bit of concern, focusing tremendously on the task set before them. Playing out the guiles of Salman and taking advantage of Owais, the two batsmen accumulated runs with ease. Amitavo rotated the strike while Rahul faced a string of dot balls before they both began dispatching the balls at will, Rahul hitting 9 fours and 2 sixes, and Amitavo 7 fours and 3 sixes, one ending up in the parking lot. Out in a similar fashion as he was against BU, Rahul went for another big shot down the ground and was caught by Gerry off of Maniís bowling for a well played 65 (49). Amitavo continued on with Chris coming in at number three, the captain being able to score just 5 runs before being caught and bowled by Rohit. With Omarís support, Amitavo got to 72 from just 53 and was bowled middle stump by Mani, the third time he was out this season in this manner. The opening pair of Rahul and Amitavo scored a record opening stand of 146 against CCCC in their history of cricket and while at the crease it appeared that DCCC would for once win a game and win it convincingly, but it was not to be.

Omar was out to Mani trying an unorthodox shot and was caught by Tuggy, Mani again being the bowler while in the very same over, Ravi fell for a 2 ball duck, leaving the overall score on 189/5 at the 22nd over. Praveen and Govind tried working the ball around with Chris as Govindís runner until Chris ran Govind out from a ball thrown in by Gerry, and Praveen being bowled by Owais for 8 and 9 respectively. Maybe the rain would come and save the game? No such luck. Vijayasri, Nicola and Vibhor had just 2 overs to play and did not affect the score. DCCC ended on the losing side again, only managing 201 in the allotted 25 overs.

For such an ideal start, it was unfortunate that the bulk of the Dartmouth players could not do justice to the solid platform laid by the openers, and that their runs were scored in vain. Much is left to be desired from the middle order, not to mention the bowling attack and fielders, who cannot afford to give runs away that the batsmen cannot get.

Written by: NMMootoo


Today's date: Friday, August 01st 2014.

  


Practice Schedule

Game Schedule

Club Information

Player Conduct

Members

Scorcards & Match Reports

Statistics

Directions

Useful Links

Archives