Posted here is a selection of articles, papers, videos, books, and presentations by Dartmouth College, Dartmouth Medical School, and Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center faculty.
First Annual Dartmouth Symposium on Substance Use
- Alvord, Lori, M.D.: Keynote: "Journey Toward the Light: The Experience of Alcoholics and their Families"
- DeLeo, Joyce, Ph.D.: "Neurobiology of Addiction Community Teaching: Role of Faculty and Students"
- Drake, Robert, M.D.: "Overview of Dual Diagnosis"
- Green, Alan I., M.D.:"Why is Substance Abuse so Common in Psychiatric Disorders?"
- Koop, C. Everett, M.D.: Keynote: "Addiction in America"
- Nierenberg, David, M.D.: "Substance Use Problems in a Hospital Emergency Room"
- O'Donnell, Joseph, M.D.: Discussion
- Sargent, James, M.D.: "Alcohol Use in Movies and Its Effect on Adolescent Behavior"
- West, Donald, M.D.: "Treatment Outcome and Common Misperceptions"
- Cook, William, Ph.D: Alcohol Use as Portrayed in Gaines' A Lesson Before Dying (streamed MOV file)
Professor of English
- DeJong, William, Ph.D: Preventing Underage and High-Risk Drinking in the College Context (streamed MOV file)
Director, Higher Education Center
- Gitlow, Stuart: Substance Use Disorders, spring term 2006.
- Grandey, Emily: Substance Use Disorders: A Case Study, spring term 2006.
- Koop, C. Everett, M.D.: Reflections on Alcohol and Tobacco from an Insider's Point of View (streamed MOV file)
Professor of Community and Family Medicine; former U.S. Surgeon General
Senior Scholar of The Koop Institute at Dartmouth
- Kopper, John M., Ph.D: Discussion of Euripides' The Bacchae (streamed MOV file), Moscow to the End of the Line: Alcohol use in Russia as Represented by Erofeev (streamed MOV file)
Professor of Russian and Comparative Literature
- Dorris, Michael: The Broken Cord (former faculty).
- Valliant, George E.: The Natural History of Alcoholism.
- Hoefnagel, Dick and Close, Virginia L.: Eleazar Wheelock and the Adventurous Founding of Dartmouth College, by Dick Hoefnagel with the collaboration of Virginia L. Close. (75K PDF file)
- Koop, C. Everett, M.D.: "Drug Addiction in America: Challenges and Opportunities", May 1, 2003
- Koop, C. Everett, M.D.: The C. Everett Koop papers
- McGovern, Mark P., Hirschfield, Lindsay M., Edwardson, Karin L., Hirschfield, Lindsay M., McGovern, Mark P.: "A Systematic Analysis of College Substance Use Policies", Journal of American College Health, Vol. 54, No. 3. (110K PDF file)
- Robertson, N. Carr: "Places for Addicted Youth", Valley News, September 11, 2005.
- Savage, Seddon, M.D.: "27 Reasons not to Serve (or turn a blind eye to) Alcohol at High School Graduation Parties", Concord Monitor, June 7, 2005, Valley News, June 19, 2005.
- Sloane, Julie '99: "Fighting Addiction", Dartmouth Alumni Magazine: interview with Mark McGovern, Ph.D. Posted with permission. (2.5MB PDF file)
- West, Donald: "The Upper Valley's Epidemic," Valley News, September 11, 2005.