Online Video Library
The video library streamed here is composed of a few commercial productions and a number of videos that were simply filmed in conference or classroom sessions. The majority of these files are in QuickTime .MOV format or RealPlayer .RM format; you will need QuickTime Player or RealPlayer in order to view them.
These videos are also available as a list of videos by presenter and by subject.
Dartmouth Professional Productions
- Eating Disorders (The Doctor is In). Russell Marx, M.D. of the Eating Disorders Program at the Medical Center at Princeton, and Marcia Herrin, Ed.D, MPH, R.D. at the Dartmouth College Health Service, show what's being done to prevent and beat one of the most lethal categories of mental illness.
- Smoking Cessation (The Doctor is In). This program explains the various medications, support groups, and counseling that can help bring success to smokers who want to quit. Experts include Michael Fiore, MD, Director of the Center for Tobacco Research and Intervention at the University of Wisconsin Medical School; physician and associate professor Nan Cochran of Dartmouth Medical School; and Mattew Myers, president of the National Center for Tobacco Free Kids.
- Substance Abuse in the Elderly (The Doctor is In). This program profiles older Americans dealing with the issues of alcohol and prescription drug misuse and shows some innovative programs created specifically for the elderly. 28 minutes; Copyright 2000, Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center.
- Women and Alcoholism (The Doctor is In). This program profiles women from differing backgrounds and age groups who are in recovery. 28 minutes; Copyright 2003, Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center.
- First Annual Dartmouth Symposium on Substance Use:
- Welcome and Introduction
- Keynote: Addiction in America by C. Everett Koop, M.D.
- Alcohol Use in Movies and Its Effect on Adolescent Behavior by James Sargent, M.D.
- Overview of Dual Diagnosis by Robert Drake, M.D., Ph.D.
- Why is Substance Abuse so Common in Psychiatric Disorders? by Alan Green, M.D.
- Discussion by Joseph O'Donnell, M.D.
- Afternoon welcome and introduction
- Keynote: Journey Toward the Light: The Experience of Alcoholics and their Families by Lori Alvord, M.D.
- Panel introduction
- Measures of Substance Use by Timothy Laumann '06
- Substance Use Problems in a Hospital Emergency Room by David Nierenberg, M.D.
- A Systematic Analysis of College Substance Use Policies by Karin Edwardson '05
- Campus Clinical Services for Students with Substance Use Problems by Bryant Ford, Ph.D.
- Substance Use Problems on a College Campus by Ryan Travia M.Ed.
- Both Ends of the Spectrum: The Promise of College Students in Recovery and the Changing Science of Prevention by A. Matzkin, M.A. '97
- A (friendly) Addiction Resource for the Greek System by V. Tawfik and J. Raser '06, Dartmouth Medical School
- Neurobiology of Addiction Community Teaching: Role of Faculty and Students by Joyce DeLeo, Ph.D.
- "Treatment Outcome and Common Misperceptions", Don West, M.D.
- Medical Professionals in Recovery - Some Nuances by Mark Logan, M.D. '73
- Symposium summary
- Second Annual Great Issues in Medicine and Global Health Symposium
- Traumatic Effects of Alcohol: Assessment and Intervention by Peter Monti, Ph.D., Center for Alcohol and Addiction Studies, Brown University. November 16, 2005.
- Alcohol Abuse: Assessment and Intervention in Patient-Care Settings by Peter Monti, Ph.D. Includes footage from film entitled Dying High: Teens in the E.R. November 16, 2005.
- Substance Abuse and the Vulnerable Brain by Alan I. Green, M.D., Raymond Sobel Professor of Psychiatry and Chairman, Department of Psychiatry, Dartmouth Medical School. November 18, 2005.
- Third Annual Dartmouth Symposium on Substance Use - May, 2007
- Welcome and Introduction by Seddon Savage, M.S. M.D.
- Empowering Healthcare Clinicians to Address Addiction: Integrated Treatment of Prescription Opioid and Heroin Dependence in Primary Care by Eric Gunderson, M.D.
- Using Computers to Assist in Substance Screening in Pain Medicine by Gil Faciullo, M.D.
- Screening and Motivational Interviewing in Community HIV Clinics by Leslie O'Neill, Ph.D.
- Community-Based Integration of Medical, Substance and Psychosocial Care: A Model Adolescent Clinic that Builds on Electronic Screening by Viking Hedberg, M.D., M.P.H.
- Substance Screening of Adolescents using PDAs in Primary Care Settings by Ardis Olson, M.D.
- Brief Intervention and Referral in Any Healthcare Setting: the Interface of General and Specialty Care by Donald West, M.D.
- The Emergency Room: Addressing the Problem behind the Crisis by Patricia Lanter, M.D.
- It Works. It’s Free. And It’s in Your Community: Engaging Patients in AA and Other Self-Help Groups by Pat Ristaino Dutton, R.N.C, M.S., L.A.D.C., L.C.S.
- Supporting Addiction Recovery: Critical Roles for all Clinicians by Charles Brackett, M.D., M.P.H.
- Fifth Annual Dartmouth Symposium on Substance Use: Examination of the U.S. Minimum Legal Drinking Age - May, 2009
- The Pleasures and Pitfalls of Alcohol: The Neurobiology of Reward and Addiction in the Developing Brain by Alan Green, M.D.; Chair, Department of Psychiatry, Dartmouth Medical School
- Empowering Young Adults to Make Mature Decisions by John McCardell, Ph.D; former President of Middlebury College; President, Board of Directors of Choose Responsibility
- The American Public Health Experience with Different MLDAs by Ralph Hingson, Sc.D, M.P.H.; Director, NIAAA Division of Epidemiology
- Re-Thinking the Drinking Age by Jeffrey Miron, Ph.D; Director of Undergraduate Education, Department of Economics, Harvard University
- A Global Perspective on Drinking Ages and Alcohol Use by David Jernigan, Ph.D; Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health; Author WHO report "Global Status of Youth Alcohol Use"
- Reflections of a U.S. Surgeon General on the U.S. MLDA by C. Everett Koop, M.D., Sc.D; U.S. Surgeon General 1981-1989
- The U.S. Military Experience with Changing MLDAs by Amy Wallace, M.D.; Senior Scholar, Veteran's Rural Health Resource Center-Eastern Region
- Neurobiology of Reward and Addiction in the Vulnerable Brain by Alan Green, M.D
- Magnitude and Prevention of College and Underage Drinking Problems by Ralph Hingson, Sc.D, M.P.H.; Director, NIAAA Division of Epidemiology
- A Global Perspective on Drinking Ages and Alcohol Use by David Jernigan, Ph.D; Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
- Choose Responsibility: balance | maturity | common sense by John McCardell, Jr.; President of Choose Responsibility; President Emeritus of Middlebury College
- Rethinking the Minimum Legal Drinking Age by Jeffrey Miron, Ph.D; Director of Undergraduate Education, Department of Economics, Harvard University
- Did raising the drinking age reduce veterans' later alcohol treatment episodes? The U.S. military as a natural experiment by Amy Wallace, MD, MPH, et al.
- Have We Treated and Evaluated Addictions Correctly? Lessons from Chronic Care Medicine by A. Thomas McLellan, Ph.D., presentation sponsored by Robert W. Johnson foundation and Dartmouth Center on Addiction, Recovery and Education. October 21, 2004. (See also: Panel discussion following presentation
- A Call to Arms to Address Issues of Tobacco and Health at DHMC by Michael Fiore, Medicine Grand Rounds, March 18, 2005.
- 1997 Convocation Speech at Dartmouth College by Louise Erdrich '76
Sixth Annual Dartmouth Symposium on Substance Use - May, 2010:
Documentaries and Press Conferences
- Alcohol use as portrayed in Gaines' A Lesson Before Dying (class session) by William Cook, Ph.D., Professor of English.
- A BrISCK Explanation: The Brief Intervention Smoking Cessation Kit by Benjamin M. Snyder, Koop Scholar, Dartmouth Medical School. Concluding remarks by Dr. C. Everett Koop. (See also: PowerPoint presentation).
- Charting the Cycle of Sedation and Agitation Resulting from Alcohol Consumption (class session) by Stuart Gitlow, M.D. Member of American Society of Addiction Medicine. Author of Substance Use Disorders: A Practical Guide.
- Discussion of Euripides' The Bacchae by John M. Kopper, Ph.D. Professor of Russian and Comparative Literature.
- Drinking and College Students: Perspectives from a Health Correspondent and Dartmouth Trustee (class session) by Susan Dentzer, Dartmouth Class of '77, Dartmouth Trustee. Correspondent, "The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer."
- Jennifer's Story. A teen's personal narrative, this video project describes a family's experience with a father in alcohol treatment.
- Moscow to the End of the Line: Alcohol use in Russia as Represented by Erofeev by John Kopper, Professor of Russian and Comparative Literature.
- CoCo 3 class project by Lucy Liu '09
- Preventing Underage and High-Risk Drinking in the College Context by William DeJong, Ph.D. Dartmouth Center on Addiction, Recovery and Education.
- Reflections on Alcohol and Tobacco from an Insider's Point of View by C. Everett Koop, MD. Professor of Community and Family Medicine; former U.S. Surgeon General. Senior Scholar of The Koop Institute at Dartmouth.
- Substance Abuse Disorders by Stuart Gitlow, spring term 2006.