Professors at Dartmouth

One of the reasons that I chose Dartmouth was because I heard that students really get to know their professors, and I haven’t been disappointed.  As a first-year student, I expected some larger classes, so I thought that I wouldn’t get to interact with my professors on a personal level until sophomore or junior year.  My classes, however, are small–50 people, 16 people, and 15 people, respectively.  Even in the 50-person class, I have a real relationship with my professor.  Not only does she know my name, but she also knows my personality.

Last night, I brought my professor from my first-year seminar to a dinner that was specifically organized for students to bring their professors.  My friends and I got to talk to my professor for a few hours, which was really valuable because I learned where her unique perspective in class comes from based on her background.  Yet, the dinner was not the first time that I got to talk with my professor.  I often go to office hours to talk to her about current events from a critical geographical perspective.

Whether through organized events, office hours, or simply classroom interactions, I’ve really gotten to know my professors, and they’ve gotten to know me too.  If you come to Dartmouth, I’m sure that you’ll have a similar experience.

1 thought on “Professors at Dartmouth”

• I am applying to Dartmouth for next Fall 2017 and also have heard about the small class sizes which is great and for me, the best way to learn. Coming from a very large high school in Mountain View, California (approx. 2000 students) and living in a state where most of the UC’s have 5,000 – 6,000 freshman — it’s refreshing to think about learning in a classroom where the professors actually know your name, your personality and might even have dinner with you.

One of my oldest childhood friends just started her freshman year at Dartmouth a few weeks ago and can’t say enough about how much she loves it!

So…you never know…next year I might find myself inviting my professors to Dartmouth seminar dinners and not only learn their unique perspectives but also find out that they can spell my last name – which would be a first:)