HOME > FACULTY > DEPARTMENT FACULTY
Senior Lecturer (Chinese)
B.A. Dartmouth College, 1983 (Asian Studies)
Ph.D./M.A. Harvard University (Social Anthropology)
Formerly at Tulane University, Johns Hopkins University-School of Advanced International Studies, University of Maryland
Joined DAMELL Faculty 2005
- Ethnic Nationalism, Uyghur ethnic minority of China, Xinjiang Studies, Medical Anthropology relating to manic-depression and mental illness; Qu Yuan and Chu Ci studies; Chinese language pedagogy.
- Chinese 1, 2, 3: Beginning Chinese Language
- Chinese 11: Ethnic Minorities of China (Dartmouth Foreign Study Program, Beijing Normal University)
- Chinese 63/AMES 22/Anthro 49: Sex, Death and Identity in Modern China
- Writing 5: Manic Depression and the Creative Process
- Oasis Identities: Uyghur Nationalism Along China's Silk Road, New York: Columbia University Press, 1997.
- Central Asia Phrasebook, (16 languages), Melbourne, Australia: Lonely Planet Publications, 1998.
- Mandarin Phrasebook, Melbourne, Australia: Lonely Planet Publications, Co-author, 2000.
- "Xinjiang Ethnic Destinies: Internal and External Confrontations within the Chinese Context," co-authored with William Jankowiak in Frederick Starr (ed), Xinjiang: China's Muslim Borderland, NY: M.E. Sharpe, 2004.
- The Silk Road Messiah: A Manic-Depressive Odyssey (manuscript): Reflexive anthropological account of conducting research in Xinjiang, China among a people in search of a nationalist savior, 2006.