Examples of past projects
The objective of this project is to develop experience in the application of IE principles such as Design for Environment (DFE) and Life-Cycle Assessment (LCA) to a specific industrial situation. This “situation” may be a product, an industrial process, or a specific service, for which a greener alternative is to be designed.
The project culminates in the formulation of an alternative design, an estimate of its comparative environmental benefit, and a defense of the concept in front of the class.
Considerations must be given to all critical stages of the lifetime of the product/process/service, from cradle to grave/reincarnation.
Groups of 3 or 4 students
Stage 1: Choice of product/process/service; disassembly of one or several existing versions (if product - otherwise, visit to plant or interviews); evaluation of environmental impact (per unit & for entire market).
Stage 2: Formulation of a list of redesign options (from shallow redesign to deep ecology - 5 steps or so); choice of level of redesign; selection of preferred alternative.
Stage 3: Discussion of materials selection, energy issues, packaging, etc.; estimation of improved environmental impacts.
Stage 4: Preparation of computer slides, class presentation and defense.
- Research on current item (quantity on the market, lifetime, disassembly, etc.)
- Analysis of the collected numbers (quantification of the environmental impacts in production, during use or after use, of both current and redesigned items)
- Application of IE principles (in redesigning the alternative item)
- Argumentation (selection process to arrive at alternative, rationale for assumptions)
- Presentation of the results (oral and written, ability to answer questions)
Grading scale: TOTAL of 30 points
- 8 points for research (web search, procurement of product, its disassembly, etc.)
- 8 points for analysis (energy, materials, life-cycle)
- 8 points for creativity, brainstorming & decision process
- 6 points for organization, style & illustrations
Return to course homepage