Career Information: Health and Medicine
Industry and Education & Training Information
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: serves as the lead federal agency for developing and applying disease prevention and control, environmental health, and health promotion and education activities designed to improve the health of the people of the United States.
- HospitalLink: provides links to hospital web sites throughout the world. If you are looking for internships or jobs, search for the human resources department at individual hospital sites in your desired geographic location.
- Indian Health Services: contains information on Native American health issues and a searchable database of jobs available throughout IHS facilities, tribally operated health programs, and urban Indian health programs.
- National Institutes of Health: information on research and training opportunities.
- U.S. Department of Health & Human Services: principal agency for protecting the health of all Americans.
Job or Internship Listings
- Pam Pohly's Net Guide: jobs in the healthcare industry - managed care, hospitals, healthcare systems, companies, physician groups, etc.
- HireHealth.com: a bio-pharmaceutical career site.
- Medzilla.com: contains databases of jobs listings (10,000+) in the biotechnology, pharmaceutical, science, and medical fields.
- Kaiser Family Foundation: Links to fellowships and internships in the health professions and related fields.
Health/Medicine Bibliography: A sampling of books available in the Resource Library
- AVMA Membership Directory & Resource Manual: The American Veterinary Medical Association membership directory includes - in addition to a listing of veterinarians - listings of veterinary medical associations, veterinary technician information, government agencies and more.
- Careers in Health Care: In this completely revised and updated edition, you'll find essential information on all of the major career paths within this dynamic field. Arranged in an easy-to-use, A- to - Z format, this comprehensive guide is essential reading for anyone considering a career in health care.
- Health-Care Careers for the 21st Century: Step by step, this up-to-date guide helps you discover over 80 health-care careers - along with the training, daily working demands, and career potential for each. This book goes beyond the basics by giving you a feel for what it's like to work in health care; by helping you assess career options; and by listing thousands of training and educational programs.
- Medical School Admission Requirements: This book provides all the basic information needed to explore medical school including: premed planning, making decisions, MCAT and AMCAS information and application procedures. It discusses financial information and has a special section containing specific school entries.
- Minority Student Opportunities in United States Medical Schools
- Official Guide to Dental Schools: This is the resource for those contemplating dental school. It provides introductory information about becoming a dentist, decision making advice as well as information on individual schools and programs in the U.S. and Canada.
- Planning Your Career in Alternative Medicine: A guide to degree and certificate programs in alternative health care. Part One provides you with a clear explanation of the major fields that constitute alternative healing. Part Two presents the profiles of the schools and their programs. Appendices provide information on licensing requirements; a list of agencies that approve or accredit programs; a list of professional organizations; and a self-study chapter that includes correspondence courses, books, videos, software, and periodicals.
- Veterinary Medical School Admission Requirements in the United States and Canada: This resource provides campus-by-campus, requirement-by-requirement information including evaluation criteria, prerequisites, application and enrollment data, financial aid information, descriptions of minority and disadvantaged programs and more!
- Write for Success: Preparing a Successful Professional School Application: This guide will help you write more clearly about tasks related to the health professions application process. It offers suggestions, strategies and samples of writing that are evaluated by AMCAS professionals.
Related Alumni Stories