Skip to main content


    Monday - Friday
    9:00 am - Noon and
    1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
    Will resume Spring Term

Stay Connected

Help & Support Help & Feedback

Center for Professional Development
63 South Main Street, 2nd Floor
Dartmouth College
Hanover, NH 03755
(603) 646-2215
Fax: (603) 646-1360
E-mail: Center for Professional Development
Recruiting Program E-mail:

Financing Graduate School

Because every graduate school has its own application process and system of awarding aid, you must obtain that information directly from each of the institution. You can check with both the financial aid office and the graduate academic department.

Fellowships and Grants

These are based on academic merit, and do not need to be repaid. Typically, they provide partial or complete payment of tuition and a stipend for living expenses. They are awarded by federal and local governments, private organizations, and individual graduate school institutions. Plan early! Many deadlines fall before the graduate application deadline.


There are two types of assistantships: research and teaching. Typically, they provide a stipend and often waive tuition and/or other matriculation fees.

  • Research Assistantships: Generally work in laboratories to assist faculty on research projects.
  • Teaching Assistantships: Typically involved teaching courses, grading papers, and meeting with students.


Available from the government and other private sources.

  • Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) - All schools require applicants to complete a FAFSA form for federal aid. Applicants are automatically considered independent after graduation, although some schools require parental information for the purpose of determining the applicant's eligibility for private institutional funds.
  • The Access Group - A non-profit group that provides education financing to eligible students.
  • FinAid - Sponsored by the National Association of Student Financial Administrators.

Last Updated: 10/9/13