Skip to main content

Sponsored Travel - Federal Travel Restrictions

It should be noted that there are significant federal compliance requirements concerning international travel. International travel funded by sponsored grants or contracts must be authorized in advance by the Office of Sponsored Projects. Most agencies require that all international travel be on a U.S. flag carrier unless circumstances, such as lengthy holdovers, preclude using a U.S. airline. In the event that there are no U.S. flag carriers going to the traveler's destination, the traveler must contact the Office of Sponsored Projects at (603) 646-3007. Many sponsoring agencies must specifically approve trips abroad well in advance of departure. This requirement exists whether or not such travel is referenced in the grant or contract award notification. Arrangements for international travel supported by sponsoring agencies can be complex, requiring not only prior approval but detailed justification for each trip, as well as detailed trip reports. For specific information on sponsoring agency requirements, contact the Office of Sponsored Projects.

Airlines that are considered U.S. flag carriers must be used on all federally sponsored projects, unless advanced written approval is received from the Office of Sponsored Projects.

Reimbursement for the cost of alcohol is not permitted on federal awards. The traveler must certify that alcohol was not part of a meal when an original itemized meal receipt is not submitted.

Last Updated: 5/18/10