Purpose of Policy
The Dartmouth College Procurement Card (P-Card) Program is designed to improve efficiency in processing low dollar value purchases ($2,499.00 or less) while providing adequate documentation of expenses, appropriate charging of expenses, and approvals.
P-Card Program Overview
• The P-Card program is a method for conveniently paying for allowable small dollar items. The complete P-Card policy can be found at: http://www.dartmouth.edu/~control/docs/procurement/pcard-policy-3-16.pdf
• The Dartmouth Business Expense policy provides specific requirements for allowable travel and business expenses can be found at: (http://www.dartmouth.edu/~control/policies/dartmouth-business-expense-policy.html)
• The Dartmouth P-Card Program is designed to improve efficiency in processing low dollar value purchases ($2,499.00 or less). The P-Card is a Visa Card and can be used to make purchases for goods (and some services) with any merchant who accepts the Visa Card. P-Card transactions for non-restricted commodities cannot exceed $2,499.00 per transaction (including all delivery, shipping and/or special handling charges). Transactions exceeding the $2,499.00 limit normally require a Purchase Order.
• P-Card transactions are for items of tangible ownership and basic services. P-Cards may not be used for entertainment expenses, or any travel related expenses (with exception for some bus tickets - http://www.dartmouth.edu/~control/travel/transportationoptions.html). See full list of prohibited goods or services below.
• P-Card transactions are approved and allocated to the appropriate chart string or PTAEO in Dartmouth's P-Card system. Each night approved P-Card transactions are loaded into the general ledger. Approvals should be done in the system weekly, prior to sweep days, i.e. Fridays each week. Finance Centers and/or Department Approvers have between 15 and 20 business days to reallocate P-Card purchases to the appropriate chart string or PTAEO before the P-Card system automatically posts the transaction to the default account. The Sweep/Post Date for each transactions in shown in the P-Card systems.
• Documentation for P-Card purchases is expected to be delivered to the appropriate approving entity within seven business days from date of purchase. See details regarding required documentation below.
• Receipts are not required for items under $75 purchased on a P-Card, with the following exceptions. Due to NCAA rules and regulations, all varsity coaches and non-coaching staff members with sports specific responsibilities in those varsity sports are required to submit receipts for all purchases and provide a descriptive business purpose, regardless of amount. Purchaser must submit through eForms (OnBase). https://www.dartmouth.edu/~fincenter/forms.html, a business purpose and the chart string no matter the dollar amount. At $75.00 and over the receipt must be included. Only exception is for WB Mason where no submission is required if the purchase is for office supplies and the chart string is the default.
• All items purchased with Dartmouth funds (subvention, grants, gifts, or reserve funds) are the property of Dartmouth College.
• If a Cardholder doesn't abide by Dartmouth College purchasing policies, the Procurement Card Non-Compliance penalties will go into effect. The P-Card is a privilege, not an entitlement.
• It is strongly recommended that before anyone uses or is given a P-Card they review all P-Card policies and regularly use the Procure-To-Pay Guide (http://www.dartmouth.edu/~control/departments/procurement/procure_to_pay_guide/) for obtaining the correct method to pay for goods and services.
• Contact your Finance Center, Department P-Card Approver or Procurement Services with questions prior to purchasing items or anytime you need assistance.
Last Updated: 3/30/16