Policy Name: Print Services
Effective Date: May 2011 (Revised March 2012)
Office with Primary Responsibility: Procurement Services
Offices with Secondary Responsibility: Controller’s Office
At Dartmouth, we understand that there are many different print requirements. Our objective with this policy is to balance the considerable requirements for College print projects with the need for cost effective management and control of their use. Dartmouth spends more than $3.5 million dollars each year on print, and while individual projects may not seem to be significant, once aggregated our spend is sufficiently large to permit considerable financial leverage.
This policy establishes principles and guidelines for all print requirements that will allow us to realize the benefits of our sourcing leverage.
This guideline applies to all Dartmouth employees.
Reason for Policy
To outline the process related to print services.
Scope: Who should know this policy?
- Any individual responsible for procuring print projects.
- Any individual associated with a Finance Center.
- Please reference the Procure-to-Pay guide for categories as they relate to the selected preferred printers, ordering methods, and process flow.
- Preferred Printers: Capital Offset; Dartmouth Printing and Mailing Services (DPMS); JS McCarthy; Lane Press; RC Brayshaw; SPC Marcum; Universal Millennium; Valley News; Villanti and Sons
- DPMS: All orders for business cards, envelopes, letterhead and diplomas will be placed through Dartmouth Printing and Mailing Services.
- Process Requirements:
- All print projects less than $5,000 will use one of the preferred printers with no bid requirements.
- All print projects greater than $5,000 will require an estimate from at least two of the Preferred Printers.
- Requisition / Purchase Order / Invoice Requirements:
- All print projects less than $1,000 utilizing one of the Preferred Printers can be processed via a Non-Purchase Order invoice.
- All print projects greater than $1000 must be processed with a Requisition / Purchase Order.
- Shipping (non-common carrier deliveries): For print orders to be delivered to Dartmouth.
- Preferred Printer will deliver via company truck (if available/applicable), or
- Deliveries will be made via FedEx using your Departmental FedEx Account Number. All shipments will default to ground unless specified otherwise.
Exclusions / Exceptions
All orders to Non-Preferred Printers must go through eProcurement via a non-catalog requisition. Fill out the Print Services Exceptions Form stating why one of the contracted printers cannot perform the service and submit to Procurement with the requisition for approval.
Contacts / Responsibilities
Appendix A - Process Flow for ordering from preferred printers
Appendix B – Process Flow for ordering from non-preferred printers
Appendix C – Exceptions Form
Procure-to-Pay Guide website - http://www.dartmouth.edu/~control/departments/procurement/procure_to_pay_guide/