Professor of Asian and Middle Eastern Languages and Literatures and Comparative Literature
6191 Bartlett Hall
Ph. D Yale University
M.A. Pembroke College, Oxford University, and Waseda University
B.A. Harvard University
Areas of Expertise
- Japanese literature and culture
- Japanese film
- Temple of the Wild Geese/The Bamboo Doll of Echizen (Gan no tera/ Echizen take ningyo), by Tsutomu Mizukami, translation, (2008).Converting Cultures: Ideology, Religion, and
- Transformations of Modernity, co-edited with A K Reinhart, (August 2007)
- Translating Mount Fuji: Modern Japanese Fiction and the Ethics of Identity, (2006).
- Shanghai, by Yokomitsu Riichi, translation, (2001).
- Word and Image in Japanese Cinema, co-edited with C Cavanaugh, (2000).
- The Dilemma of the Modern in Japanese Fiction, (1995).
- Translation of Warai ookami (Laughing Wolf) by Tsushima Yuko; Norton Critical Edition of The Tale of Genji; preparing a comparative study of the concept of the "Gothic sublime"