Professor of French and Comparative Literature
310 Dartmouth Hall
- Sixteenth Century French Literature
- Memoirs, biographies, pamphlets, and propaganda from the French Wars of Religion
- First-person narratives
- Literary and critical theory
- The history of subjectivity in philosophy
- American popular culture
Books and edited volumes:
- Intertextual Masculinities in French Renaissance Literature: Rabelais, Brantôme, and the Cent nouvelles nouvelles (Forthcoming, Ashgate, 2008).
- Trash: Essays in Popular Culture (Forthcoming, Xlibris, 2007).
- “Meaning and Its Objects.” Volume of Essays co-edited with Margaret Burland and Andrea Tarnowski. Yale French Studies 110 (Fall, 2006).
- Narrative Worlds: Essays on the French Nouvelle in 15th and 16th Century France. Volume of essays co-edited with Gary Ferguson (Tempe: Medieval & Renaissance Texts & Studies, Arizona State University, 2005).
- The Iconography of Power: the French Nouvelle at the End of the Middle Ages (Newark: University of Delaware Press, 1999).
- “On the Male Urge: Masculinity in Rabelais and Brantôme.” in Entre les hommes, edited by Todd Reeser and Lewis Seifert. (forthcoming, University of Delaware Press, 2008)
- “Interrogation and the Performance of Truth in the Registre Criminel du Châtelet de Paris, 1389-1392.” In “Meaning and its Objects,” Yale French Studies 110 (Fall, 2006), 152-162.
- “French Renaissance Literature and the Problem of Theory: Alcofribas’s Performance in the Prologue to Gargantua.” EMF 10 (Spring, 2005), 5-38.
- “Exemplarity as Misogyny: Variations on the Tale of the One-Eyed Cuckold.” Narrative Worlds: Essays on the French Nouvelle in 15th and 16th Century France (Tempe: Medieval & Renaissance Texts & Studies, Arizona State University, 2005), 139-158.
- “Doctor Rabelais and the Medicine of Scatology.” in Fecal Matters, ed. Jeff Persels and Russell Ganim (Aldershot, UK: Ashgate, 2004), 24-37.)
- “Masculinity and Metaphors of Reading in the Tiers Livre.” “French Masculinities,” special issue of Esprit Créateur, ed. Todd Reeser and Lewis Seifert, Fall, 2003, Vol. XLIII, No. 3, 5-15.
Works in Progress
- On the History of the Subject in Hegel, Nietzsche, Foucault, Butler, and Žižek (book manuscript).
- The Culture of Memory: Polemics, Propaganda, and Personal Writing in the French Wars of Religion (book manuscript).