Lawrence D. Kritzman
Professor of French and Comparative Literature
305 Dartmouth Hall
(603) 646-2400, 646-2912
Legion d'Honneur award winner
- Literature of the European Renaissance
- Psychoanalysis and literature
- Critical theory
- Cultural studies
- Contemporary European intellectual thought
- Jewish studies
- Destruction/Découverte: le fonctionnement de la rhétorique dans les 'Essais' de Montaigne (Lexington: French Forum, 1980)
- The Rhetoric of Sexuality and the Literature of the French Renaissance (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1991)
- The Fabulous Imagination: The Mind's Eye in Montaigne's Essays (Columbia University Press, 2008)
- Editor and contributor, The Columbia History of Twentieth Century French Thought, 2006. Winner of the Jeanne and Aldo Scaglione Prize of the Modern Language Association for the Best Book in French Studies 2007. Interview article in Liberation, January 2006; article and interview in Le Monde [April 2006}. Cited by the PHILADELPHIA INQUIRER as one of the best books of 2006.
- “Death Sentences: Representations of Death In Post War French Writing” [in progress].
- Fragments: Incompletion and Discontinuity (New York: New York Literary Forum, 1981)
- France Under Mitterand (Contemporary French Civilization, 1984)
- Foucault: Politics, Philosophy, Culture. Interviews and Other Writings (New York and London: Routledge, 1988)
- Le Signe et le Texte. Etudes sur l'écriture au XVIe siècle en France (Lexington: French Forum, 1990).
- Auschwitz and After: Race, Culture and the Jewish Question in France (New York and London: Routledge, 1995).
- Realms of Memory. The Construction of the French Past , 3 vols. [conceived by Pierre Nora] (New York: Columbia University Press, 1996, 1997, 1998.)
- Sans Autre Guide, with Philippe Desan, Raymond La Charité, and Michel Simonin (Paris: Klincksieck, 1999).
Selected Recent Articles
- "The Socratic Make Over: Montaigne and the Ethics of the Impossible," L'Esprit createur, Winter 2006
- "Derrida's Living Will, MLN (Johns Hopkins University Press), 121, 2006.
- "A Certain Idea of De Gaulle," Yale French Studies, Spring 2007
- "Jacques' Complait: Death and the Maternal in Derrida's Circumfession," in Writing Lives, University of Wisconsin Press, 2007.
- "Simone de Beauvoir, paradoxical intellectual," PMLA, 2008.