Department of Classics
6086 Reed Hall Room 201
Hanover, NH 03755
Requirements for the Major in Ancient History
- Prerequisite: Greek 10 or Latin 10, or equivalent.
- Classical Studies 14 and 17.
- Three additional courses selected from: Classical Studies 11, 15, 18, 29 (if written on an historical topic), and 31.
- Classical Studies 19.
- Two Greek or Latin courses numbered 20 or higher.
- Two additional courses selected from:
- Classical Studies 11, 15, 18, 29 (if written on an historical topic), and 31.
- Classical Studies 6, 20-26.
- Courses in Greek or Latin numbered 20 or higher.
- Classical Studies 3 and Classical Studies 12.
- Completion of Culminating Experience Requirement.
One related course from outside the Classics Department may, with departmental approval, serve in partial satisfaction of this requirement (for example, a thematically appropriate offering of History 95).
Use this worksheet (pdf) to help select courses that fulfill the major requirements. Students are encouraged to meet with a member of the faculty to discuss major and course selections.
Requirements for the Minor in Ancient History
- Four courses in ancient history selected from Classical Studies 11, 14, 15, 17-19.
- Two courses in Classical archaeology selected from Classical Studies 6, 20-26.
- One additional course selected from:
- Ancient History (Classical Studies 11, 14, 15, 17-19).
- Ancient Archaeology (Classical Studies 6, 20-26).
- Courses in Greek and Latin numbered 10 or higher (excluding Greek 11).
- Classical Studies 2-5 or Classical Studies 12.
Participation in either of the Classics Department’s Foreign Study Programs will meet the requirements for two of the above seven courses, one in archaeology and one in ancient history (Classical Studies 30 and 31, respectively).
Use this worksheet (pdf) to help select courses that fulfill the minor requirements. Students are encouraged to meet with a member of the faculty to discuss minor and course selections.