Full Lab Manual
Introduction & Goals
Chemistry & Background
In Your Write-up
Here are some questions to think about before, during and after this week's experiment:
1. What happens when you titrate a weak acid solution with a strong base? What will the titration curve look like? Remember last week?
2. What would happen if you titrated a weak acid solution with a strong ACID? What will final pH be?
3. What happens if you titrate a weak base solution with a strong acid? What will the titration curve look like?
4. What would happen if you titrated at weak base solution with a strong BASE? What will final pH be?
5. What happens to pH when you dilute a buffer? A weak acid? A weak base?
6. What is the pH of the titrant solutions? (0.1 M strong acid and base)
7. How is the behavior of a weak acid solution (e.g. 0.1 M acetic acid) different from that of a buffer at acidic pH (e.g. acetic acid/acetate buffer)? Can you point to a region of the acetic acid titration curve that corresponds to both solutions?
Trustees of Dartmouth College, Copyright 19972004