David S. Glueck
|Professor Glueck received his A.B. and A.M. degrees in chemistry in 1986 from Harvard University, and his PhD. at the University of California, Berkeley, in 1990, with Bob Bergman. After working on crown ethers, intercalation, and buckyballs as an NSF-NATO postdoctoral fellow with Malcolm Green at the Inorganic Chemistry Lab, University of Oxford, he joined the Dartmouth faculty in 1992, and served as department chair from 2007-2010.
Position: Professor of Chemistry
E-Mail: David S. Glueck
Research Group Web Site
I am interested in applications of synthetic chemistry to homogeneous catalysis (especially asymmetric catalysis) and to sustainable energy.
We have developed three new catalytic methods for asymmetric synthesis of chiral phosphines, which are a useful class of ligands for metal-catalyzed asymmetric synthesis. In asymmetric hydrophosphination, a chiral Pt(0) complex catalyzes enantioselective addition of a P-H bond across a C=C bond. In asymmetric phosphination, a chiral Pd(0) complex catalyzes enantioselective cross-coupling of an aryl iodide and a secondary phosphine. Our most recent discovery, enantioselective alkylation of secondary phosphines, can be used to prepare chiral bidentate diphosphines. Development of these new reactions is guided by extensive mechanistic studies and characterization of the catalytic intermediates. This work involves synthesis of inorganic, organometallic, and organic (especially organophosphorus) compounds.
In a new project, we are studying structure-property relationships in luminescent metal complexes, which have potential applications in dye-sensitized solar cells (DSSCs), organic light-emitting diodes (OLEDs), and light-emitting electrochemical cells (LECs).
- Reynolds, S. C.; Hughes, R. P.; Glueck, D. S.; Rheingold, A. L. Org. Lett. 2012, 14, 4238–4241. Synthesis, Reactivity, and Resolution of a C2–Symmetric, P–Stereogenic Benzodiphosphetane, a Building Block for Chiral Bis(phosphines).
- Guino-o, M. A.; Zureick, A. H.; Blank, N. F.; Anderson, B. J.; Chapp, T. W.; Kim, Y.; Glueck, D. S.; Rheingold, A. L. Organometallics 2012, 31, 6900-6910. Synthesis and Structure of Platinum Bis(phospholane) Complexes Pt(diphos*)(R)(X), Catalyst Precursors for Asymmetric Phosphine Alkylation.
- Chapp, T. W.; Schoenfeld, A. J.; Sanderson, M. D.; Chang, C. L.; Glueck, D. S.; Golen, J. A.; Moore, C. E.; Rheingold, A. L. Organometallics 2012, 31, 5573–5585. Synthesis, Structure, Dynamics, and Selective Methylation of Platinum and Palladium Diphosphametallacyclobutane Complexes.
- Cain, M. F.; Glueck, D. S.; Golen, J. A.; Rheingold, A. L. Organometallics 2012, 31, 775-778. Asymmetric Synthesis and Metal Complexes of a C3-Symmetric P-Stereogenic Triphosphine, (R)-MeSi(CH2PMe(t-Bu))3 (MT-Siliphos).
- Zuzek, A. A.; Reynolds, S. C.; Glueck, D. S.; Golen, J. A.; Rheingold, A. L. Organometallics 2011, 30, 1812-1817. Synthesis and Structure of Gold and Platinum Menthyl Complexes.
- Seibert, A. R.; Cain, M. F.; Glueck, D. S.; Nataro, C. J. Organomet. Chem.2011, 696, 2259-2262. Electrochemistry of P(CH2Fc)3 and derivatives.
- Glueck, D. S. Catal. Sci. Technol. 2011, 1, 1099-1108. Selectivity via catalyst or substrate control in catalytic asymmetric transformations of bifunctional symmetrical substrates. (invited review)
- Cain, M. F.; Reynolds, S. C.; Anderson, B. J.; Glueck, D. S.; Golen, J. A.; Moore, C. E.; Rheingold, A. L. Inorg. Chim. Acta 2011, 369, 55-61. Synthesis, Structure and Spectroscopic Properties of 2,3-bis(diphenylphosphino)quinoxaline (dppQx) and Its Copper(I) Complexes. (special R.G. Bergman issue)
- Cain, M. F.; Hughes, R. P.; Glueck, D. S.; Golen, J. A.; Moore, C. E.; Rheingold, A. L. Inorg. Chem.2010, 49, 7650–7662. Synthesis and Structure of Intermediates in Copper-Catalyzed Alkylation of Diphenylphosphine. (cover picture)
- Glueck, D. S. Top. Organomet. Chem.2010, 31, 65-100. Recent Advances in Metal-Catalyzed C–P Bond Formation. (invited review)
- Lane, E. M.; Chapp, T. W.; Hughes, R. P.; Glueck, D. S.; Feland, B. C.; Bernard, G. M.; Wasylishen, R. E.; Rheingold, A. L. Inorg. Chem.2010, 49, 3950–3957. Synthesis of Gold Phosphido Complexes Derived from Bis(secondary) Phosphines. Structure of Tetrameric [Au(MesP(CH2)3PMes)Au]4.
- Chapp, T. W.; Schoenfeld, A. J.; Glueck, D. S. Organometallics2010, 29, 2465-2473. Effects of Linker Length on the Rate and Selectivity of Platinum-Catalyzed Asymmetric Alkylation of the Bis(isitylphosphino)alkanes IsHP(CH2)nPHIs (Is = 2,4,6-(i-Pr)3C6H2, n = 1–5).
- Chapp, T. W.; Glueck, D. S.; Golen, J. A.; Moore, C. E.; Rheingold, A. L. Organometallics2010, 29, 378-388. Platinum-Catalyzed Asymmetric Alkylation of Bis(isitylphosphino)ethane: Stereoselectivity Reversal in Successive Formation of Two P-C Bonds.