What To Do
- If the student has made a suicide attempt, call 911 for an ambulance, and Safety and Security.
- If the student has serious suicidal thoughts or appears to be in a fog or not thinking clearly, they need to be seen immediately. Call the Counseling Office at 646-9442 during office hours (8:00am-4:30pm) or after hours, call the Infirmary at 646-9440 and they will connect you with the Counselor-On-Call. You and the Counselor can make the appropriate arrangements for the student to be seen.
- If the student has a few of the risk factors, but denies being suicidal, it makes sense for them to touch base with a counselor. They can call Counseling to set up an appointment at their convenience.
- If you are not sure what to do, or how to proceed, call Counseling and ask to speak to the Counselor-On-Call.
- If you feel the student needs to be seen by a counselor right away and the student refuses, you can contact the Counselor-On-Call or the Dean-On-Call.
Last Updated: 10/2/08