How To Approach A Student
- Express your concern to the student citing the risk factors you have observed.
- Ask about the other risk factors.
- Ask about suicidal thoughts directly, use the word suicide. This does not increase the risk of a suicide occuring, in fact students are often relieved to have someone to talk to.
- Assist the student to find solutions to their problems other than suicide.
- Never agree to keep serious suicidal thoughts in confidence. It is important that a student with serious suicidal thoughts meet with a counseling professional so the student can receive the support they need.
- Be supportive and follow-up with the student