Counseling & Human Development
Dick's House, 2nd Floor
7 Rope Ferry Road
Hanover, NH 03755
Phone: (603) 646-9442
Fax: (603) 646-9410
How To Approach A Student
- Listen to the person and acknowledge his or her pain.
- Ask directly, "Are you thinking about killing yourself?" This does not increase the risk of a suicide occurring, in fact students are often relieved to have someone to talk to.
- Help the person feel understood and let him or her know you care.
- Avoid judging or inducing guilt.
- Never agree to keep serious suicidal thoughts in confidence. It is important that a student with serious suicidal thoughts meet with a counseling professional so the student can receive the support they need.
- Do not leave the person in active crisis alone.
- Refer the individual to professional help. Call the Counseling & Human Development department at 603-646-9442 during office hours (M-F: 8:00 am-4:30 pm) or after hours, call the Dick's House Inpatient Department at 603-646-9440, or Safety and Security at 603-646-3333. You and the counselor on call can make the appropriate arrangements for the student to be seen.
- If you feel the student needs to be seen by a counselor right away and the student refuses, you can contact the Counselor-On-Call or Dean-On-Call at 603-646-3333 for consultation.