Skip to main content
- Be realistic in what you can and cannot do. Overambitious goals are a frequent cause of stress
- Get adequate sleep. Try to establish a regular hour for bedtime.
- Avoid hurrying and worry.
- Control your emotions. Decide if the circumstances are worth getting stressed over. Don't let petty problems get the best of you.
- Learn to love people more than things. Seek out and spend time with people whose company you enjoy.
- Don't rely on alcohol or drugs to cope with a problem.
- Don't keep feelings to yourself. Identify fears and talk them over with others. Stick to saying what you feel. Avoid focusing on what the other person is doing. Think "I feel angry", rather than "You make me angry".
- Make decisions even though they may turn out to be wrong. Compromise as often as possible as this will give you some control over the situation.
- Try to follow routines. Avoid disorganization and disruption.
- Develop a sense of humor, especially when there is tension. This will help to prevent you from taking things too seriuosly.
- Physical exercise without overdoing it works wonders in helping reduce stress.
Last Updated: 10/2/08