1. Read the article in the Valley News relating to allowing Dartmouth students to take part in the survey on the future of Hanover.
Do you think students should be allowed to participate in the survey?
If they do participate should they be allowed only to answer certain questions?
2. In a study on how people perceive probability, Kahneman and Tversky asked subjects ``which of the following two sequences is more likely: H T H T T H or H H H T T T ? " Most people will say the first sequence. Why do you think they say this?
3. If a fair coin is tossed three times there will be 0, 1, 2, or 3 heads. How likely is each of these four possibilities?
(1) Read the two studies handed out, one on electromagnetic forces and the other on smoking and lung cancer. Comment in your journal on any weaknesses you see in either study.
(2) Using Data Desk explore the class data set and record in your journal anything interesting that you learn about the class from this exploration.