Evaluation of Newspaper Critiques: Scoring Rubric
Assign 0-3 points for each of the following categories:
___1. Clearly states the purpose of the research study and the basic research question.
___2. Clearly defines methods used to answer the research question.
- 0 pt: doesn't attempt to state purpose of question
- 1 pt: purpose or question stated are incorrect
- 2 pt: purpose or question are moderately well stated
- 3 pt: purpose and question are appropriately and correctly stated
___3. Poses reasonable questions to ask the investigators to better understand the study.
- 0 pt: doesn't define methods
- 1 pt: incorrectly describes methods
- 2 pt: does a fair job of describing methods
- 3 pt: accurately described research methods
___4. Raises appropriate questions about the validity of the conclusions.
- 0 pt: doesn't post any questions to ask investigators
- 1 pt: asks irrelevant or inappropriate questions
- 2 pt: asks questions moderately clear and appropriate
- 3 pt: asks perceptive and appropriate questions about the study
- 0 pt: doesn't address this question
- 1 pt: accepts conclusions without any reservation
- 2 pt: raises issues (somewhat relevant or not clearly defined) that question validity of conclusions
- 3 pt. raises relevant issues that question the validity of conclusions