«

Apr
17

Alumni Conversations: Greg Clow ’81, Editor at Top-Ten-Apps.com

Position: Editor at Top-Ten-Apps.com,  an iPhone app discovery email newsletter

Short description of what you do: I work on web development, app discovery and review, social network integration, analytics, email marketing, creative direction, art direction, and copywriting.

Degree at Dartmouth: Visual studies

1. Did you pursue any further education or training?

I took night classes from a San Francisco-based advertising school. All other training was done on the job.

2. Describe the path from your time at Dartmouth to your current activity.

I went from working in advertising in New York to advertising in Boston, and then I moved on to San Francisco. Eventually I moved from advertising to online marketing.

3. What activities/groups/events did you participate in while on campus?

I was a member of the squash team and Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity. I also skiied, worked on the snow sculpture design for Winter Carnival in 1980, designed Dartmouth Film Society posters, participated in the New England Art Show, and designed the Winter Carnival poster for four years. 

4. How do you translate your Dartmouth education and/or major to your career?

All my coworkers went to art school and had a four to six-year head start on me…. That was a sobering realization. However, in the field of creative advertising, the ability to call on my liberal arts background, and to reference pieces of societal and historical information that my colleagues did not have, helped a great deal. I also found it far easier to present ideas to business leaders because I was relating to them on a level playing field.

5. Do you have any advice for current students who are interested in the arts, both academically and personally? 

As I see it, there are three directions to take after Dartmouth as an artist:

1) You have the means, or a benefactor, with which to follow your creativity unencumbered by the necessity of income,

2) You choose a second career, and creating visual art becomes a second career or hobby, or

3) You go into marketing or advertising.

I chose the third path. As a piece of advice to artists in today’s digital world: Today it is so easy for non-artists to create beautiful things, that the fruits of our labor have become commodities. Photographers know this best. While the few truly great in the industry welcome the competition and claim that it will just “up the game,” for those just entering the field, the competition to just get a start is daunting. Why pay a professional photographer when I can just use my iPhone? Why hire an artist to create the art for a billboard when I can use Photoshop and stock photography at a fraction of the cost?

The smart way forward for today’s graduate is to find a way to use digital capabilities to expand the touch of your creativity — printmakers learned this. Make an engraving once, make a hundred prints, number them and sell them. One piece of art and a hundred copies = greater income and greater exposure. Today’s graduate has to look to multipliers in order to make an impact.

Permanent link to this article: http://www.dartmouth.edu/~careerblog/2013/04/alumni-conversations-greg-clow-81-editor-at-top-ten-apps-com/

wp_list_cats('sort_column=name&optioncount=1&feed=RSS');