The Marine Environmental Research Institute (MERI), located in Blue Hill, Maine, is a nonprofit organization dedicated to scientific research and education on the impacts of pollution on marine life, and to protecting the health and biodiversity of the marine environment for future generations. We are currently offering three Marine Education Internships for the 2012 Summer. These are full-time positions requiring a commitment of 11 weeks (June 18th – August 31st). Current work includes community-based marine education programs, water quality monitoring, and field research on the effects of pollution on marine mammals. MERI’s education programs focus on marine life along the rocky Maine coast and promoting environmental awareness and stewardship.
A marine education internship is an excellent opportunity for an individual working toward a career in marine science education or environmental education to gain practical experience in the field. The ideal candidate will possess a personal interest in the marine environment and a commitment to the mission of the organization.
Primary Job Responsibility:
This position will involve working closely with senior Education Staff in key components of the MERI education program, including leading boat and island ecology trips for children and adults, planning and implementing educational science materials for adult and child community programs, assisting with teen programming, and assisting with the day-to-day operation of the MERI Center for Marine Studies.
Assist with the implementation of educational programming, including educational boat cruises, Teens for Healthy Oceans Program, MERI’s Summer Classes, Ocean Story Hour, Ocean Video Night, and Ocean Aquarium Room programs.
- Interpret exhibits in the Ocean Aquarium Room to visiting groups and the general public
- Assist with day-to-day operation of the MERI Center for Marine Studies, including staffing the reception desk and the Ocean Room, and attending some weekend and evening programs and special events
- Help maintain Ocean Aquarium, including collection of species for exhibit in the tanks
- Work with Education Department staff and volunteers to reorganize and catalogue the Sea Lending Library
- Compile background information, assist with production of Fact Sheets, Teaching Kits and informational materials as assigned and for an individual project subject area
- Articulate and promote the MERI mission to the public
- Stock and maintain educational program materials
- Set up and clean areas required for educational programs
- Perform other duties relating to the organization’s goals and mission as required
Education Program Coordinator and Education Director
Applicants should be working towards or possess a BA or BS degree (Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors are encouraged to apply) in environmental education, marine sciences, biology, environmental sciences or a similar major. Applicants should demonstrate enthusiasm for teaching science-related topics and preferably have experience teaching science to groups of students, ages 2-18. Applicants should be able to work well independently and as part of a team. Good public speaking and writing skills are required. Applicants must be flexible, able to adapt to a changing work environment, and at times, be available to work evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Knowledge of computer software including Microsoft Word, Power Point, Excel required. Must possess a valid drivers license, and a good driving record. Knowledge of First Aid, CPR, and water safety is a plus.
June 18th – August 31st (11 weeks); Full-time (min. 40 hours/week)
Housing in Blue Hill and a stipend are available. A common house is used, where interns live together and are responsible for cooking and cleaning duties. Rooms may be shared with one other person. Interns are responsible for all travel expenses and food.
Deadline: Opened until positions filled
Please state where you found the internship posting and send a cover letter, resume and contact information for three (3) references by e-mail to Martha Bell, Education Director at email@example.com.