Location: Columbia, MD
Astrum Solar (www.astrumsolar.com) is a funded high-growth early stage company whose goal is to spread solar power to rooftops across the US, starting with the Eastern US and targeting residential customers. We aim to innovate in the sales and marketing of solar to consumers and make it easy and exciting for homeowners to go solar. We are looking for energetic, intelligent, and entrepreneurial individuals passionate about solar energy to join our quickly growing team.
This position is a low-pay, high potential position for someone who is interested in the following:
- A career in the quickly growing solar industry
- A company culture that values idealism and “doing well by doing good,” but at the same time takes a realistic, for-profit approach to scaling cleantech
- Learning about how to start, grow, and scale a business by participating in a sophisticated, well funded startup
- A variety of experiences – from sales to marketing to operations to policy work
- An opportunity to grow as the company grows
Drawbacks to the job:
- Unstructured – you will have plenty of work and plenty of interaction with others, but you need to be entrepreneurial. We are also looking for ideas from you, if you come up with something, you will be encouraged to pursue it.
- Low pay – If you are looking for a nice paycheck, this job is not for you. However, the low pay is temporary (1-2 years). As the company grows, your responsibilities and pay will also grow.
- Menial tasks – we are looking for highly intelligent folks who will find some of the work quite menial (i.e. paperwork, or sitting at a government office waiting for a permit). However, it’s a startup, so everyone is doing that sort of work, and there will be a wide variety of work, from menial to creative, from administrative to strategy. As the company grows and you become more senior, the sophistication level of the work will also increase. We are not looking for a secretary or a clerical worker, although much of the work (especially at first) will be clerical.
This position is perfect for someone who recently finished a top-tier institution, who is green minded and eager to learn, and who is willing to trade salary for a rewarding experience and potential. This is NOT an internship: we are hiring full-time employees who we plan to invest into and who can grow with the company. We are looking for promise and passion.
Previous Associates hail from Harvard, Dartmouth, Yale, Duke, UVA, Cornell, and Rice and are now managers at Astrum Solar or have moved onto Business, Law, and Graduate School.
If you are interested, please apply at www.astrumsolar.com/jobs In your cover letter, make sure to include your work preferences and salary needs.