Urban Teacher Center (UTC) is a fast-growing non-profit that prepares highly effective teachers who significantly accelerate student achievement in the nation’s highest-need schools. UTC recruits outstanding candidates, equips them with state of the art training, and links their certification to their students’ performance outcomes. Campus Campaign Fellows will lead and execute a campus-wide recruitment strategy for identifying and engaging prospective UTC candidates. Are you a current college student passionate about closing the achievement gap and eager to gain valuable experience in the education human capital sector? UTC is looking for mission-driven sophomores, juniors, seniors or graduate students to serve in the first cohort of Campus Campaign Fellows. Part-time: 5-8 hours/week (flexible).
- Manage and execute 2011-2012 recruitment process for Urban Teacher Center candidates from your school.
- Advise the Urban Teacher Center Human Capital Team on their campus recruitment strategy.
- Communicate and manage relationships with a network of nominators, including Deans, professors, and university administrators.
- Engage and build relationships with relevant student organizations, including service-learning groups, cultural and minority-affinity societies, Greek organizations, academic-focus groups, student government, and education organizations.
- Lead high-impact campus events to build awareness of UTC’s high-impact program, such as information sessions, panel discussions, and classroom visits with UTC residents and staff.
- Launch engaging, attention-grabbing visual awareness campaigns targeting UTC’s application deadlines (Oct. 15, Dec. 15, Feb. 15, Apr 15, and May 15).
- Lead personal outreach to promising candidates, encouraging them to attend webinars or meet with UTC representatives at Career Fairs.
- Develop strategic initiatives for targeting students from high-need majors and minors.
- 3.0 GPA or higher and record of high academic achievement.
- Concentration in an academic discipline other than education (UTC is an alternative teacher preparation program for individuals who are not education majors or already licensed).
- Demonstrated passion for urban education and closing the achievement gap.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work relentlessly toward results with a constant commitment to growth.
Training and Compensation
- This position is unpaid but includes recruitment bonuses of $25 per accepted/enrolled candidate.
- Targeted training and support, including bimonthly check-ins with the Director of Human Capital and skill-specific webinars*.
Apply Now: If you believe you have what it takes to lead a campus campaign, please send a cover letter describing your interest and why you would be the best candidate along with your resume to Kerry Swarr, Director of Human Capital, at KerryS@urbanteachercenter.org by November 30, 2011. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
*Training Overview – Bi-monthly training will include the following sessions:
Urban Teacher Center 101
Setting Campus Recruitment Targets
Campus Fellow Round Table – Sharing Successful Strategies
Window into UTC Core Competencies and Sub Competencies and the Interview Process
Overview of UTC’s Curriculum and Development
Overview of UTC’s Accountability Model
Q and A with Current UTC Residents and Fellows
Campus Recruitment Goals and Targets Mid-Year Check-In
Overview of Teacher Effectiveness Research and the Economic Imperative
Best Ways to Prepare for UTC and Post UTC Career Pathways
Conversation with UTC Co-Founders, Co-Directors- Lessons from Leading A High-Growth Education Non-profit
End of the Year Review of Targets, Lessons Learned
Roundtable on UTC’s Recruitment Plan – Your Turn to Advise UTC Human Capital Staff
Planning for Next Recruitment Year – Implications of Expansion to New Cities