2013 Institute: New Location!
Tuesday August 6 - Friday August 9, 2013
University of Calgary,
Calgary, Alberta, Canada Cost - $990-999 to be finalized
After five successful years at Dartmouth College in Hanover, NH, Supporting Clinical Care: An Institute in Evidence-Based Practice for Medical Librarians is excited to announce that for 2013 it is moving west (and north!) to beautiful Calgary, Alberta, Canada in and the University of Calgary's brand new Taylor Family Digital Library.
We are very excited to bring the Institute west this year and can't think of a more perfect location than Calgary.
To keep updated with all the latest news, please visit (and bookmark) our website at http://libguides.ucalgary.ca/EBCP2013.
About the 2012 Institute
Monday, August 6th, 5:00pm - Thursday, August 9th, 5:00pm
Dartmouth College, Hanover, New Hampshire
This is an intensive, introductory, 3 day course. Through discussion and hands-on learning, you'll acquire skills needed to support evidence-based practice. We use an active, case-based approach in a comfortable, small-group environment. A hallmark of this Institute is the low student-faculty ratio and the individual attention each participant receives.
Medical librarians who want to learn evidence-based medicine concepts in order to comfortably support and teach EBCP at their institutions. Attendance will be limited to 32 participants to maximize individual learning.
After completing this Institute, students will be able to:
- Identify and explain the concept, issues and process of evidence-based clinical practice (EBCP).
- Recognize study designs and understand their strengths and limitations.
- Create well-built, answerable clinical questions.
- Use clinical questions to find the best evidence in the literature about the diagnosis and treatment of disorders.
- Identify and explain the criteria for judging the internal validity of randomized controlled trials (RCTs), systematic reviews, qualitative and diagnostic studies.
- Identify roles that librarians can undertake in providing EBCP training and support to health care professionals.
20 MLA CE credits pending.
Comments from previous Institute Attendees:
"This is by far the best thing I've done for myself as a medical librarian."
"I really appreciated the opportunity to interact and learn from those who were experienced with EBM. I learned a lot and feel as if I have a handle on the topic."
"Small groups are the ideal situation – can be actively engaged with increasingly familiar faces – very productive."
"Excellent workshop. Great way to learn by immersion for 3 days with colleagues."