|Replace or delete this capt
Ancient Roman, Early Christian & Byzantine
Ph.D., B.A. University of California, Los Angeles, 1984
Courses Taught at Dartmouth
- Art History 1, Introduction to Art History I
- Art History 10, Themes in the History of Roman Art (FSP in Rome)
- Art History 25, Roman Art
- Art History 30, Early Christian Art
- Art History 31, Byzantine Art
Kathleen Corrigan also teaches seminars and topics courses on medieval manuscript illumination, Mediterranean cities 2nd-6th centuries, and early Byzantine icons. She also teaches the department's senior seminar on Theory & Method in Art History, and the Art History Foreign Study Program in Rome.
Kathleen Corrigan's research has been primarily in the area of Byzantine manuscript illumination, icons, and image theory. She is presently working on a project on early Byzantine icons.
Selected Publications and Lectures
- Visual Polemics in the Ninth-Century Byzantine Psalters (Cambridge and New York: Cambridge University Press, 1992).
- “Visualizing the Divine: An Early Byzantine Icon of the 'Ancient of Days at Mt. Sinai," in Approaching the Holy Mountain: Art and Liturgy at St. Catherines Monastery in the Sinai, S. Gerstel and R. Nelson 9eds.) (Turnhout: Brepols, 2011) 285-303.
- "The Teaching of the Ladder: The Message of the Heavenly Ladder Image in Sinai ms. Gr. 417," with Nancy P. Sevcenko, in Images of the Byzantine World: Visions, Messages and Meanings. Studies presented to Leslie Brubaker, A. Lymberopoulou (ed.), (2011), 99-120.
- “The Three Hebrews in the Fiery Furnace: an Early Byzantine Icon at Mt. Sinai,” in ΑΝΑΘΕΜΑΤΑ ΕΟΡΤΙΚΑ: Early Christian, Byzantine and Armenian Studies in Honor of Thomas F. Mathews, J. Alchermes, H.Evans, and T. Thomas (eds.), (Mainz, Philipp von Zabern, 2009) 93-103.
- "Iconography" in Oxford Handbook of Byzantine Studies, ed. R. Cormack, J. Haldon, and E. Jeffries (Oxford, Oxford Univ. Press, 2008), 67-76.
- Text on the Early Christian and Byzantine period for the documentary The Face: Jesus in Art, for Department of Communications, U.S. Catholic Conference (Educational Broadcasting Corp. 2001).
- "Constantine's Problems: The Making of the Heavenly Ladder of John Climacus, Vatican gr. 394," Word & Image 12 (1996), 61-93.
- "Text and Image on an Icon of the Crucifixion at Mt. Sinai," in The Sacred Image: East and West, ed. R. Ousterhout and L. Brubaker (Champaign, Ill.: University of Illinois Press, 1995), 45-62.
- "The Witness of John the Baptist on an Early Byzantine Icon in Kiev," Dumbarton Oaks Papers, 42 (1988) 1-11.
- “The Lure of the Phlegrean Fields,” College Art Association Annual Meeting, Boston, MA, February 2006.