Nicola (Nick) Camerlenghi
Ph.D., M.A. Princeton University, 2007
SMArchS Massachusetts Institute of Technology
B.A. Yale University
Courses To be Taught at Dartmouth
- Art History 1, Bodies and Buildings: Introduction to the History of Art in the Ancient World and the Middle Ages
- Art History 4, Introduction to World Architecture
- Art History 16, Islamic Architecture
- Art History 17, Castles, Cloisters and Cathedrals
- Art History 17, The Architecture of Late Antiquity
- Art History 30, Early Christian Art
- Art History 81, Domes
Professor Camerlenghi will also teach seminars and topic courses on medieval architecture around the Mediterranean and the department's foreign study program in Rome.
Early Christian and medieval architecture with a particular focus on the city of Rome; the diffusion and cultural significance of domes across the medieval Mediterranean; the interplay between nature and architecture; American campus architecture; history of gastronomy.
- "Splitting the Core: The Twelfth-Century Transverse Wall at the Basilica of San Paolo in Rome." Memoirs of the American Academy in Rome, vol. 58 (2013).
- "Terroir and Architecture." At Table: Dialogues on Food and Architecture, ed. by Samantha Martin-McAuliffe (London: Berg, 2013).
- "The Longue Durée and the Life of Buildings." New Approaches to Medieval Architecture, ed. by Robert Bork et al. (Burlington: Ashgate, 2011).
- "Interpreting Medieval Architecture Through Renovations: The Roof of the Old Basilica of San Paolo Fuori le Mura in Rome." Approaches to Byzantine Architecture and its Decoration: Studies in Honor of Slobodan Curcic, ed. Robert Ousterhout et al. (Burlington: Ashgate, 2011).
- "The Eighteenth-Century Baptistery at San Paolo fuori le Mura." Bollettino Monumenti, Musei e Gallerie Pontificie 26 (Vatican City: 2009).
- Exhibition Catalog Entries. San Paolo in Vaticano: La figura e la parola dell'apostolo delle genti nelle raccolte pontificie, (Todi: Tau, 2009).
- "Sankt Paul vor den Mauern." Rom: Meisterwerke der Baukunst von der Antike bis heute: Festgabe für Elisabeth Kieven, ed. Christina Strunck (Petersberg: Imhof, 2007).