Skip to main content

Faculty and Staff

Welcome to the Student Accessibility Services web resource for members of the Dartmouth faculty and staff.  SAS is a resource for faculty and staff members who are working with individual students with disabilities or to assure that your programs, activities, and services are fully accessible.  Equal opportunity for individuals with disabilities and compliance with disability civil rights laws is a shared responsibility that extends across the campus.  Basically, each department, office, campus activity, etc. is responsible for the accessibility of its own programs, services and activities.  Below are information and links to more detailed documents addressing issues that should be considered or that often arise.

Two key and fundamental responsibilities are (1) providing “effective notice” about the accessibility of your program and events and how individuals with disabilities can request disability-related academic adjustments and services as well as (2) assuring effective communication for individuals who need alternatives to your print or spoken information. For more information, see:

Academic Adjustments and Services
Each year, the Dean of the Faculty and the Vice Provost for Student Affairs writes a joint letter to the members of the Dartmouth College Faculty of Arts and Sciences providing information on the process for providing appropriate academic adjustments and services for students with disabilities.  See the September 17th, 2015 letter from Michael Mastanduno, Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, and Inge-Lise Ameer, Vice Provost for Student Affairs, to the members of the faculty at: Letter to Faculty 9/17/15 (pdf).

Dartmouth College is committed to providing access to programs for all students.  There are many ways in which a faculty member can assist students with various disabilities in the classroom.  See the Common Academic Adjustments for Students web page for general information about approaches that often match up with certain kinds of disability-circumstances.
See also:
Communicating with Deaf or hard-of-hearing students

Document Conversion and students with print-based or reading disabilities

Notetaking Services at Dartmouth College

Instructors should use the statement below to assure proper notice of the availability of academic accommodations and to encourage better communication between students and faculty about disability-related matters.  This statement should be announced in class and included course syllabi and web sites (e.g. Blackboard):

Students with disabilities enrolled in this course and who may need disability-related classroom accommodations are encouraged to see me privately as early as possible in the term. Students requiring disability-related accommodations must register with the Student Accessibility Service office. Once SAS has authorized accommodations, students must show the originally signed SAS Services and Consent Form and/or a letter on SAS letterhead to their professor. As a first step, if students have questions about whether they qualify to receive accommodations, they should contact the SAS office. All inquiries and discussions about accommodations will remain confidential.

When meeting with you, the students should be able to show you a completed "Services and Consent Form" and/or a letter on SAS letterhead, which note the academic adjustments and services that have been authorized for the student by Student Accessibility Services.  The student should show you the original form and/or letter, with either Director Ward Newmeyer’s or Assistant Director Larissa Hopkins' original signature.  Feel free to blitz or call SAS to confirm the academic adjustments and services that have been authorized for a student in your class.

  • If you believe that any SAS-authorized academic adjustment or service inadvertently compromises legitimate academic objectives or standards of your class or test, or if you have any other questions or concerns about the authorization(s), please contact Ward Newmeyer, Director of Student Accessibility Services to discuss the matter.  Meanwhile, however, the authorized academic adjustments and services must be provided until SAS reconsiders and changes the authorization.  We will always endeavor to protect the legitimate standards of a class while assuring that the academic adjustments and services are appropriate for the student.
  • Common academic adjustments and services that may require the knowledge and cooperation of instructors, faculty members, and/or their departments are extended time for timed, in-class examinations, quizzes, and assignments; testing in a separate venue; and allowing word processing for tests and assignments that entail significant writing.
  • When a student first discusses an academic adjustment and/or service that requires advanced planning/logistical time for the student’s instructor or department, the student is expected to do so in a timely manner.  For example, if an additional room must be arranged for an upcoming examination, the instructor should have no less than three working days advanced notice in order to make the arrangements.  SAS advises students to notify their instructors (a) within the first 15 class days of the term or (b) within five working days of the academic adjustments and services being authorized by SAS, whichever is later.

If a student does not present an Services and Consent Form and/or SAS letter, please refer the student to the Student Accessibility Services office in Collis 301.  You may consult with Student Accessibility Services before acting on any accommodations the student requests.

Cognitive disabilities (including so-called “learning disabilities”) may affect one or more areas of academic performance while leaving other areas relatively unaffected.  Specific difficulties are frequently encountered with foreign languages, mathematics, reading, handwriting, and with certain examination formats regardless of subject area.  A student may experience severe difficulties in one area, yet attain a high level of achievement in another.  A student may, for example, experience enormous difficulty in foreign language courses, especially in drill sessions, while excelling in mathematics.  Poor performance (and associated frustration and anxiety) may occur in spite of high motivation and many hours of study.
If you are working with any student for whom a referral to SAS may be appropriate, or have any other questions about working with students with disabilities, see the Referring Students to Student Accessibility Services web page for important information about considerations in discussing your concerns with students and referring them.  Always feel free to contact Ward Newmeyer, Director, or Alicia Brandon, Assistant Director of Student Accessibility Services, to discuss.

Ward Newmeyer, Director, Student Accessibility Services

205 Collis Center, HB 6174

Last Updated: 3/23/16