Skip to main content

Get Help NOW (24/7)

HomeHelp >

Get Help For Myself

Are You Safe?

Your safety is the highest priority.

Call Dartmouth Safety and Security (S&S) at (603) 646-3333 or Hanover Police at 911.

Consider Calling a Trusted Friend or Relative, the Sexual Abuse Awareness Program Coordinator, or a Counselor

These people can provide you with the support and care you may need at this time.

Consider Seeking Medical Care

You may need to receive basic medical treatment for injuries (you may have injuries of which you are not aware at this time). Dick’s House or Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center (DHMC) can provide you with medical care, screening and treatment for sexually transmitted infections, and possible pregnancy. If the abuse occurred within the last 24 hours, and you wish to have physical evidence collected, this can be done at DHMC. If you choose to file a report with the police, it is important to try not bathe, shower, brush your teeth, drink, or even use the restroom which can destroy physical evidence that may be helpful in a criminal investigation.

You May Choose to File a Report with the Police

Call S&S at (603) 646-3333 or Hanover Police at 911 to submit a report.

Ask to Speak to a Dean

You may wish to contact the Undergraduate Dean’s Office at (603) 646-2243 [M-F 8:00a-5:00p]. The Dean's staff works closely with campus resources and may assist you in determining what, if any, steps you wish to take. After hours, contact S&S at (603) 646-3333 to be put in touch with a Dean on Call.

Seek Emotional Support

While taking care of your physical needs may be the first step in taking care of yourself, it is important not to neglect the emotions you may be experiencing as a result of the assault. Always remember, sexual abuse is not your fault and you are not alone.

It is your choice to determine when and in what manner you address your experience of sexual abuse. It is up to you to make the decisions that will be the best for you.

For more information, you may refer to the Dartmouth College Policy on Sexual Misconduct located in the Student Handbook.

Last Updated: 11/2/11