Dartmouth fields 34 varsity teams, more than 30 club sports teams (including recent national champions in rugby, fencing, and figure skating), and dozens of intramural squads. More than 75 percent of the undergraduate student population takes part in some form of athletics. Students also take part in outdoor programs through the Dartmouth Outing Club, the largest student organization on campus, which hosts workshops, classes, trips, and outings from the Connecticut River to the Appalachian Trail. Dartmouth also offers fitness programs and access to many of its athletic facilities and events to the community at large.
Athletics and Recreation
Overseeing varsity, club, and intramural sports as well as physical education courses
- Dartmouth Sports: Varsity sports
- Physical Education and Recreation: Club and intramural programs
- Fitness and Lifestyle Improvement Program (FLIP): Fitness for all members of the Dartmouth community
- Fitness Center: Dartmouth’s 16,000-square-foot facility housing cardio equipment, strength machines, dumbbell areas, and a full free-weight area
- Dartmouth Skiway: Dartmouth’s own alpine ski area, 15 minutes north of campus
- Dartmouth Cross Country Ski Center: Groomed trails, rentals, and lessons
- Morton Farm Riding Center: Dartmouth’s equestrian center
- Hanover Country Club: A semi-private 18-hole course open to the public, just north of campus
Dartmouth’s Outdoor Programs office facilitates outdoor opportunities for the Dartmouth community.
- Dartmouth Outing Club: The largest student organization on campus, with more than 1,000 members
- Get Out!: A collection of outdoor recreation opportunities, from paddling to backcountry skiing
- DOC First-Year Trips: Dartmouth’s outdoor orientation program to welcome our incoming first-year students
- Second College Grant: A working forest and recreation area in northern New Hampshire with programs through the Outdoor Programs Office
- Organic Farm: A student-run educational and working garden that models sustainable practices.