Connect with ITS
Images for the Web Tips
What Size Should I Make My Image
- Images should be less than 450 pixels wide
- File size should be less than 40KB for larger files and less than 12KB for smaller files
- Photos = .jpg
- 256 color graphics = .gif
- Size: 72 dpi (in Photoshop or ImageReady)
Maximum Width for Images
- Landscape images: 450 pixels wide
- Portrait images: 200 pixels wide
- Save them as a .jpg (not .jpeg)
- Examples include: Photos of faculty, buildings, students, landscapes, etc.
For Graphics (Not Photos)
- Save them as a .gif
- Examples include: Line drawings and graphs. Use fewer colors
Image Editing Tools
You can use OmniUpdate's built-in image editor, or one of the software programs listed below:
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe ImageReady
Both software programs are available from the The Computer Store.
Free Image Editing Tools on the Web
These online tools are not supported by Dartmouth Computing Services, and therefore, we do not troubleshoot issues for these:
Where to Upload Images in Your Website
- /docs/ folder at the top level of the website: For .doc, .pdf, .xls, .ppt, etc.
- /images/ folder at the top level of the website: For .jpg, .gif
What about Movies
Movies, audio files, and podcasts reside on a special server. Please contact Webmaster to set up an account on the correct server.
If you are looking for OmniUpdate support, you might tap into the following resources before contacting Help@Dartmouth.edu: