Connect with ITS
Instructional Design Services
What is Instructional Design?
Instructional design is the systematic development of educational materials, workshops, tutorials, training, and curriculum using behavioral and cognitive theory of learning to ensure quality instruction and increase student success.
Instructional Design services in the Educational Technology Group within Academic Computing
- Work in partnership with faculty to develop and expand the use of the learning management system, with a focus on course goals, learning objectives, course interactions, and course organization.
- Collaborate with faculty on the design, development, implementation and evaluation courses and course materials for the blended learning environment.
- Assist faculty in the analysis of course curricula and materials to determine appropriate course delivery methods and instructional technologies required to meet the instructor’s needs and enhance student learning.
- Evaluate, recommend, and implement new instructional technology, innovative instructional practices, and new course delivery methods.
- Design, develop, and implement resource materials and workshops for faculty on the topics of instructional design, instructional technology, and best practices in teaching and learning with technology.
- Effectively utilize technology and best practices to develop and deliver faculty technology development opportunities in one-on-one consultations, workshops, and online training formats.
- Provide leadership and support collaboration with various organizations across the institution to promote instructional design services and convey trends/innovations in instructional technologies to enhance teaching and learning.
What Services do the Instructional Designers in Computing Services provide?
Designers are available to assist faculty with implementing instructional technologies into their courses and teaching practice. Whether just getting started with Canvas or Lecture Capture, advancing technical skills, or converting a course to a hybrid format, the Instructional Designers can get you on your way. Some of the specific tools they can assist you with are:
- New Tools and Techniques
- Current Tools
Inquiries for Instructional Design assistance can be made by emailing the group at Educational.Technologies@dartmouth.edu. For additional services see: