Connect with Computing
Updating SPSS license server configuration on Windows
The SPSS license server configuration is part of a configuration file specifying multiple SPSS system settings.
On a default v21 installation, the location is:
For other versions, the \21\ in the path changes, and several lines in the file itself change.
The file is readonly to regular users, and must be edited as an administrator.
To update the configuration, we recommend this procedure:
- Log in as a user with administrative privileges
- On the Start menu, navigate to Accessories\Notepad, right click and select Run as administrator
- In the File:Open menu, change the file filter (lower right) from Text Documents (*.txt) to All Files (*.*)
- Navigate to C:\Program Files\IBM\SPSS\Statistics\21 (or ...\20 for version 20)
- Scroll down until you find spssprod.inf and select it for Opening
- The file is short and consists of Keyword=value pairs. Look for DaemonHost=
- Change the line to read DaemonHost=spsslicense.dartmouth.edu
- File:Save then File:Exit
Now run SPSS and verify that it starts up without complaining about obtaining a license.