Dartmouth strongly encourages all users to install and keep the software and virus definitions up-to-date on a regular basis as part of your computer maintenance routine.
Minimum System Requirements for Installing Symantec Endpoint Protection
Your computer must meet the following minimum computer requirements:
- 512 MB or more RAM
- 1 GHz or higher processor
- 850 MB free hard drive space
Installing Symantec EndPoint Protection
Verify that your computer has the most current operating system updates installed before proceeding. In addition, it is strongly recommended that a physical firewall device be installed in advance.
If you have a previous version of any antivirus software, including an earlier version of Symantec or Norton AntiVirus, you should remove it from your computer before installing the latest version of the product. Restart your computer after removing any previous version.
Note: If you suspect that your computer might be compromised in any fashion, we recommend the following procedure while you update your antivirus application:
- Download the most recent version of Symantec's AntiVirus or EndPoint Protection software to your desktop, but do not install it.
- Download the most current virus definitions directly from Symantec and save that file in a location that is easy to locate.
- Remove your computer from the network momentarily by either disabling the network connection in the Control Panel or System Preference, or physically disconnecting the local area network cable and disabling any wireless network connection.
- Install the antivirus software and update it using the most current virus definitions you saved in step 2.
Use of this product is legal only while employed by or enrolled at Dartmouth College. If you leave Dartmouth you must remove this software from your computer.
- Version: 12.1.5
- File Name: SEP.dmg
- File Size: 286 MB
- File Date: November 21, 2013
Download Symantec AntiVirus for Mac OS X 10.6.8 and higher (authentication required)
- Version: 12
- File Name: SEP.zip
- File Size: 151 MB
- File Date: July 18, 2012
Download Symantec AntiVirus for Mac OS X 10.5 or 10.6 (authentication required)
- Version: 10.2
- File Name: SAVOSX.zip
- File Size: 40 MB
- File Date: June 19, 2008
Download Symantec AntiVirus for Mac OS X 10.4 (authentication required)
- Double-click on the .zip or .dmg file to uncompress the installer. (In some versions of Mac OS X, the installer may automatically uncompress for you.)
- Open the folder that was just created and double-click Installer. Follow the installation instructions. Note: The installation requires that no other applications be running; it will require your system password.
- When the installation is complete, you will be prompted to Logout.
If you have questions, please contact the IT Service Desk (Help Desk) at 646-2999 and select from the options provided, send e-mail to email@example.com, or call your department's IT support office
Top of page
Keeping Your Computer Protected From New Computer Viruses
LiveUpdate is a utility built into Symantec AntiVirus. This utility allows you to connect to Symantec's Web site and download the latest virus definition and application updates to your computer. You should configure the software to update itself automatically on a daily basis, or at the very least, run LiveUpdate manually at least once a week. We also encourage you to monitor the "Computing - Viruses" BlitzMail Bulletin topic to keep abreast of new viruses. If the Bulletin warns of a new virus that affects your computer, we recommend you immediately run LiveUpdate following the directions below, regardless of the last time it was run on your computer. For information on your computer running LiveUpdate automatically, see Configure Symantec AntiVirus to Scan Your Computer for Viruses Automatically. You must have a connection to the Internet, either via Ethernet, Wireless, or modem, to run LiveUpdate successfully.
On a Mac OS X computer, open the Applications folder on your hard drive, then double-click Symantec Solutions. Double-click LiveUpdate, then Update Everything Now. Or you can click on the Symantec icon on the top Menu bar, and select LiveUpdate from the pull-down menu. Next, select Update Everything Now. When it is done downloading the latest information, you should restart your computer.
On a Windows computer, click Start, Programs, Symantec Client Security, then click Symantec AntiVirus. Click LiveUpdate, Next, then Finish. When it is done downloading the latest information, restart your computer.
Top of page
Configure Symantec AntiVirus to Update Virus Definitions Automatically
Symantec AntiVirus can be configured to automatically run LiveUpdate at regular intervals.
- Open your Applications folder, then double-click Symantec Solutions. Double-Click Symantec Scheduler. Or, click on the Symantec icon on the top Menu bar, select LiveUpdate from the pull-down menu, then select Symantec Scheduler.
- The Symantec Scheduler window appears.
- Click New. When asked to select a task to schedule, select Product Update. The Add Product Update Task window appears.
- Name the event (for example, Update Definitions) and select All Products in the Choose a product to update field.
- In the Set a Frequency field, select Daily. In the Set Time field, enter a time when these updates should run. Select a time when your computer is usually turned on and connected to the Internet, but not under heavy use.
- Click Done, then close the Symantec Scheduler window.
Top of page
Configure Symantec AntiVirus to Scan Your Computer for Viruses Automatically
Symantec AntiVirus can be configured to automatically scan your computer for viruses at regular intervals.
- Open your Applications folder and double-click on Symantec Solutions, then Symantec Scheduler. The Symantec Scheduler window appears. Or click on the Symantec icon on the top Menu bar and select LiveUpdate from the pull-down menu. Select Open Symantec Scheduler.
- Click New, then select AntiVirus Scan. The Add AntiVirus Scan Task window appears.
- Name the task, then click Browse to select the drive(s) to scan. It is recommended that you scan your entire computer at least once a week.
- Set the Frequency and Set the Time as appropriate for your needs. Symantec AntiVirus will scan your computer automatically at the interval you specified.
- Click Save, then close the Symantec Scheduler window.
Top of page