Connect with Computing
Installing Microsoft Office on Your Macintosh
Students, faculty and staff can install a subscription version of Microsoft Office on their computer following the steps below. Using this method, Microsoft Office will remain fully functional as long as you have an active Dartmouth student, faculty or staff account. When your account transitions to an alumni account or becomes inactive, you will continue to be able to use the Microsoft Office suite of products, but with limited read-only functionality. If you needed to create a new file, or edit an existing one, after your Dartmouth account transitions, you would need to purchase Microsoft Office.
Under the terms of our agreement with Microsoft, you can use these steps to install Microsoft Office on up to five different computers.
- Un-install any previous versions of Microsoft Office before beginning this process.
- Open a web browser and navigate to the Dartmouth Blitz Web Access Portal: https://bwa.dartmouth.edu/.
- Log in with your Dartmouth credentials (NetID and password).
- When your E-mail opens, click the gear icon found in the upper right corner of the window, then click Office 365 Settings from the menu that appears.
- On the Office 365 settings screen, click Software in the left column.
- Click your language (English is the default), then click the Install button to begin the download, then follow the prompts.
- Save the Microsoftoffice2011.dmg file to your computer.
- Double-click the Microsoftoffice2011.dmg file to open the installer window, and then double-click the Office Installer to begin the installation.
- Click Continue in the Introduction window, and again in the Software License Agreement window.
- When prompted click Agree to the terms of the agreement.
- Click Install to start a standard installation.
- When prompted enter your computer password, and click OK.
- The installation will then begin and when completed you will see "The installation was successful." Click Close.
- After the installation completes, the Microsoft Setup Assistant will launch automatically.
- You will need to activate your software installation by choosing "Sign in to
an existing Office 365 subscription."
- When asked for your E-mail address fill in your NetID@kiewit.dartmouth.edu.
- On the next screen use your Dartmouth password.
- Choose the Sign In and then click Done.
- After the installation completes, the Microsoft Setup Assistant will launch automatically and you will be prompted to personalize your copy of Microsoft Office 2011. You will be prompted to Keep Office for the Mac up to date? Click Yes.
- You will then be prompted to Join the Customer Experience Improvement Program. Click Yes or No then click Continue.
- Microsoft AutoUpdate may check for Office 2011 program updates. Install any available updates that are presented. Updates will automatically download and launch, follow the instructions and taking the default options.
Microsoft Office Updates
Microsoft AutoUpdate for the Macintosh, which comes with Office, keeps your Microsoft software up to date automatically. There is no need to search for critical updates and information; AutoUpdate delivers them directly to your computer. However, you can also use AutoUpdate manually when you want to check for updates.
From the Help menu, click Check for Updates. If you see a list of available updates, click the box next to the updates that you want to install, click Install, then, when prompted, enter the user name and password for an account that has administrator privileges on your computer.
Microsoft also provides a Web site where you can go and view updates that are available for Microsoft products that run on a Macintosh. Select the updates that you need from the list provided.
Download Microsoft Office Updates