[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Daily life in a community—the residential experience—is an essential part of a Dartmouth education. Learning is not limited to the classroom, and the thriving residential communities on-campus offer vital educational and social opportunities. Nearly 90% of undergrads live on campus in residence halls, academic and affinity programs, and co-ed, fraternity, or sorority housing. The other 10% live in college-owned off-campus apartments or other local rental options.
For your first year, you will live in a residence hall. Life in a dorm is a new experience for most students; you'll find plenty of people ready to help you make that transition. An undergraduate advisor lives on each floor of every residence hall. These upperclass students provide individual support to residents, and plan the group activities that build a sense of community.
Residence halls are grouped in clusters; each cluster also has a graduate advisor and a community director. Graduate advisors are studying for a master's degree or a PhD, and are role models and mentors for their undergraduate neighbors. Community Directors are professional live-in staff who provide additional individual support to students, supervise the undergraduate and graduate advisors, and serve as liaisons to other college departments.
All first year students participate in FYRE, the First Year Residential Experience, a year-long program that supports the transition to college life.