[an error occurred while processing this directive]
All applicants must submit:
- SAT (with Writing) or ACT (with Writing): If you submit both, we will look at your highest equivalent score. For the SAT, we take the highest section scores from any of your test dates. For ACT, we take your highest single composite score.
- 2 SAT Subject Tests scores from different subjects (formerly SAT II): If you submit more than 2 Subject Test scores, we will look at your two best scores. We encourage applicants to take the tests from the subjects they like the best or feel they will perform best in.
International Students must submit either the TOEFL or IELTS scores, except if:
- English is their first language, or
- English is the primary language of instruction at the secondary school where they get their degree
How we Evaluate Testing
Our approach to using testing for our admissions decisions follows our approach to the other pieces of your application:
- We use testing to better understand your academic preparation.
- We look at your tests in the context of the all of the other pieces of your application and try to understand what role testing should play for you in your application.
- We understand that many factors can contribute to your standardized test results.
- We do not have a "minimum" score that an applicant must achieve in order to gain admission, nor is there a score above which admission is guaranteed.
Standardized testing results can help determine the outcome of your application, and they are one of many factors considered as we make admissions decisions. When combined with information about your grades and comments from your instructors, test results can be useful in predicting your academic performance at Dartmouth.
Transfer Testing Waiver
If you have not taken the required tests or if sitting for these exams would be a hardship, you may request a testing waiver by contacting Janet MacElman at Janet.L.MacElman@Dartmouth.EDU. Applications with a testing waiver will be reviewed for admission. However, most transfer applicants will submit the required testing.