[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Your personal essay is not just an essay or writing sample, it is another opportunity for us to get to know you and to understand what's important to you. While we do pay attention to the quality of the writing in your personal statement, we also look to hear your voice and to learn something about you.
When writing your personal essay:
- Do nottry to summarize your life or your high school career; we'll learn about the breadth of your experience elsewhere in your application
- Focus on a topic that's of interest to you; choose an experience, a class, a person, an issue that matters to you
- Make sure that your reader sees the direct and personal connection of the topic to you and your life
- Write in a style that is comfortable to you—don't try to be something that you're not. (If you're funny and people praise your wonderful sense of humor, that's great. If not, this is probably not the place to start trying to be funny.)
- Don't forget to proofread.