Evidence-Based Medicine: Teaching Materials
Evidence–Based Medicine is the integration of best research evidence with clinical expertise and patient values. [Sackett DL, Straus SE, Richardson WS, et al. Evidence-based medicine: how to practice and teach EBM. 2d ed. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone, 2000.]
Asking the Clinical Question
Finding the Evidence
Critical Appraisal Worksheets - from the Dartmouth Biomedical Libraries
Appraising the Evidence: Therapy
Interpreting Results (RRR, ARR and NNT)
- Tips for learners of evidence-based medicine: 1. Relative risk reduction, absolute risk reduction and number needed to treat. CMAJ. 2004 Aug 17;171(4):353-8. PMID: 15313996
- Tips for teachers of evidence-based medicine: 1. Relative risk reduction, absolute risk reduction and number needed to treat. CMAJ. 2004 Aug 17;171(4):online only
- CONSORT 2010 Explanation and Elaboration: Updated guidelines for reporting parallel group randomised trials.
- Know your chances: Understanding health statistics - Woloshin, S., Schwartz, L. M., & Welch, H. G., Berkeley: University of California Press (2008). Book written for health consumers in easy to understand language about understanding health statistics.
- Effect Size Resources - An introduction, guide, and calculator from the Curriculum, Evaluation and Management Centre of Durham University, Durham, England.
- Do Cholesterol Drugs Do Any Good? - cover story from Business Week, Jan. 17, 2008 (good description of NNT, et.al., in the context of Lipitor research)
- NNT/NNH Calculator - from Alan Schwartz at the University of Illinois, Chicago.
- Visual Rx - Numbers Need to Treat - from Dr. Chris Cates' EBM Website (click on links under "Visual Rx" on left side of screen)
- Stating the Meaning of Effect Size Measures in Plain English - from the Duke Program on Teaching Evidence-Based Practice
Appraising the Evidence: Diagnosis
Appraising the Evidence: Systematic Reviews/Guidelines
Applying the Evidence to the Patient
- Applying the Evidence: Worksheet ( PDF or WORD ) - from the Dartmouth Biomedical Libraries
- Shared Decision Making resources: